Darlington Pair on Vero/strip board

Started by JEPorter, February 02, 2010, 03:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JEPorter

I'm over thinking something that is pretty simple, but is there a cleanest/simplest way to wiring up a Darlington pair on strip board/veroboard?
I keep looking for any layout with that type of two transistor configuration and I cant find any...I understand how to construct it on paper, which leg goes to which leg, but it keeps looking like chicken scratch when I sketch out a layout for the board...
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know i'm showing my OCD :(
Jeffrey
PS
Thanks to this board and its many contributors I've finally broken through and wired up a couple of circuits...It's funny, I had all the stuff around for quite a while and I was too affraid of the disappointment of messing up to just dig in...A HUGE thanks to you all!!! 
Jeffrey

~arph

Well, the most simple thing would be to get some darlington transistors like the MPSA13
You can also have a look at the layout for the neovibe, which I believe uses darlingon pairs.

trjones1

How about this:

Or this:

~arph

JEPorter

Jeffrey

PRR

If you already have a layout, you can fake it.

Call the two transistors Qa and Qb.

Don't jam them tight to the board, you will need to wiggle and jiggle.

U-Bend Qa Emitter to point straight up.

U-Bend Qb Base to point straight up.

Put Qa Base in board Base hole.

Put Qb Emitter in board Emitter hole.

Put both Qa and Qb Collectors in board Collector hole. (If you have adjacent holes in the same strip, use two holes, it makes the next step easier.)

Now grab the straight-up leads, Qa Emitter and Qb Base, and twist them together. Solder and trim. You don't need to insulate this joint, just be sure it can't touch case or other stuff.

• SUPPORTER

cab42

Quote from: PRR on February 03, 2010, 01:00:05 AM
If you already have a layout, you can fake it.

I tried that once, but ended up making a mess of my board, but then again, my soldering skills are not the best.  :icon_rolleyes:

Regards

Carsten

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

JEPorter

Hi Paul...I thought I saw a photo on-line with that piggyback configuration...I spent like two days trying to retrace my steps to find it and could not...very cool...Thanks
Jeffrey
Jeffrey