what kind of LED is used in Ruby amp and stomp boxes in general

Started by additional gravy, February 01, 2010, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

additional gravy

Hello.   I'm building a ruby amp as described in the "general guitar gadgets"  PDF instructional file that I downloaded...  It does not specify the kind of LED to use other than it's red (there is a massive variety available at the electronics store) 

Also, what sort of LED is ideal for a stompbox switch in general?

Thanks for your time!!!!   :icon_redface: 

zachomega

Go to http://www.futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml (I am not affiliated with Futurlec in any way, but will vouch for their service) or whatever your preferred parts vendor and look at their LED grab bags.  

Pretty much any LED will work.  You want one that will fit into your LED bezel if you are using one.  The bezel should say what size LED it is intended for.  

-Zach  

R.G.

The "T 1 3/4" package ("one and three quarters") is almost universal. It's 5.0mm/ 0.20" in diameter. Every color/kind of LED made comes in the T 1 3/4 package.

There is a "T 1" package with 3mm diameter that's used sometimes, but it's rare. Other sizes and shapes are even rarer.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

additional gravy

wow that was fast and very helpful!   that futurlec link was NICE too... anybody stumbling upon this might wanna check them out.   alright then, onward to eventually building that MS-20 filter, havent found a detailed tutorial on how to put that one together yet but I'm gonna figure it out (and maybe use those extra LEDs in the diode string...nice posts mr.P/ frostwave!  :D )