Faye Zher - the defx phaser project

Started by devi ever, January 30, 2010, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Quote from: markeebee on January 31, 2010, 10:40:52 AM
And, in order to maintain my station as Captain Innuendo, can I point out that every Fuzz Goddess has a DD?

I noticed that too, but assumed she was just running them in parallel.  ;)
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

MarcoMike

the world is missing a phaser with "centre" of the sweep control!!! (I know, this comes out every time a speak about phasers... but you guys should try that (and then you'll be addicted as me)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

frequencycentral

Quote from: MarcoMike on January 31, 2010, 10:59:41 AM
the world is missing a phaser with "centre" of the sweep control!!!

Mine does that: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=80456.0 It has a control to set were in the audio spectrum the sweep happens. The soon-to-be-released MkII schematic adds a width control and LFO waveform continuously variable from up sawtooth through triangle to down sawtooth.

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

doc_drop

Devi, I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Welcome.

My advice is to become friends with Frequency Central. His work on phasers here lately has inspired and taught me tons. And I'm proud to have been his "development team", aka breadboarder, on the soon to be published Causality 4 - MK II and I can say that he really knows these circuits.

Now we have to find a way to make him rich, 'cause FC shares his layouts and schematics as freely as anyone could hope for. He sets a fine example that way!

doc_drop

Mark Hammer

I am personally going to make a point of NOT looking at this thread or a while.  Not out of disinterest, but rather because I can't keep my yap shut.  If the intent is to be like those windows you can sometimes see where the tourists can peer in on the people making the product (e.g., you can watch them make mandolins, banjos and dobros at the Gibson Showcase store in the Opry Mills shopping centre), without disturbing them, then I need to stand far back from the window! :icon_lol:  I'll continue to check in once in a while, or perhaps when soeone tells me it's safe.

Until then, best of luck Devi, and remember one of my favourite quotes form my personal hero, composer Charles Ives: "Everybody ought to have the opportunity NOT to be overinfluenced!"

Taylor

Then again, Ives did use entire sections of other people's work in his music.  :icon_wink:

bean

I think Devi has been doing this professionally long enough that no one need question her intention here. I mean, she's got like 40-50 commercial pedals out there.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the process. You can always learn something new by watching how someone else does the same thing :)

devi ever

Ha ha.  Thanks to everyone being cool with this.  I didn't really think so many people were going to be as interested so soon one way or the other!

Like I said... still going to be a while before heavy development begins.

daverdave

I'd be interested in seeing your design process, I've been designing a phaser for one of my uni projects and I'll be keeping a detailed log of my work. It's always interesting to see how someone goes through the design of a circuit.

I probably can't offer much input, but I'll try to help if needs be, and I can. Phase shifters are one of my favourite effects.

devi ever

Well.  I'll be taking it in stages (lulz).

First I plan on learning how to build an LFO, just something very basic.  Then I want to learn how to do all the different shaping options that are available, and incorporate them into a very easy control interface (one knob for shape, the other for shape control... I'm thinking... and of course speed and depth).

I'm also considering doing a s/h control, so I might get involved with that in the beginning as well (don't know if that is anything like LFO as far as the tech goes).

Once again, total noob at this, so I don't even know if what I'm looking to do is possible or makes sense.  I'm also curious about pulse width modulation, but once again am not sure if that is applicable here.

Then too, I'd like to explore envelopes and something a-kin to touch sensitive tremolo like my OK and Rocket to get a stuttery phase effect.

... but just to start off, the basic (but tweakable) LFO section is where I'll start before I even get to thinking about the filter and everything else that's going to have to be involved.

I'll actually probably end up creating an LFO expression device based in the process, and once again will definitely post a finalized schematic for all to enjoy.

So much work I have to take care of first before I can get into this. :(

MarcoMike

well this is a plan I had and never had time to start...

adding sample/hold using the lfo as "noise source" (of course when you switch to s/h you need the LFO speed to increase considerably)
this way you can control the range of S/H with the LFO controls (an adding that centre knob feature, which is not what depth is in frequencycentral's casuality4 will make it super tweakable and totally original)
I have already a schematic 4 this thing, the result of copy-pasting several other schematics, but deserves a split power supply

doc_drop

Quotean adding that centre knob feature, which is not what depth is in frequencycentral's casuality4 will make it super tweakable and totally original

Not to be difficult, but since I have the newest version of FC's Causality4 on my breadboard, I can tell you that the "Drive" pot was mis-named. That pot sweeps the frequency range of the phase. We have now added a true Depth/Width pot to the design.

Also, if you mount the trim pot of FC's Phase Revolution on the exterior, it acts as a frequency range control as well.

MarcoMike

yes... maybe that bias thing in the phase revolution does what I mean!
but the depth control in all the schematics I've seen around only acts on the max voltage->max frequency... not on the minimum, and that's what I miss!

doc_drop

Ah, I see what you are saying. Kind of like a bandpass filter control not a lowpass. Interesting...

MarcoMike

Go digital! For the LFO section. ElectricDruid's PIC based VCLFO should be a good starting point. It produces several waveforms, S/H, PWM output (which is very versatil)... hm?

soggybag

Quote from: 3080 on February 01, 2010, 12:11:37 PM
Go digital! For the LFO section. ElectricDruid's PIC based VCLFO should be a good starting point. It produces several waveforms, S/H, PWM output (which is very versatil)... hm?

I was very impressed with the "Druid's" Pic LFO. I wanted to build this but I have a Mac and had a hard time getting the programming environment set up. I did manage to make a Random LFO using an ATiny, with a bunch of help from the TomeGod (thanks ToneGod). This actually worked out well. It ended up being a DIP 8 with 5v regulator a cap and pot. Really small parts count. You could fit this into a small box. There's a thread about it in the Digital board. This could probably be converted to a sin or triangle with a little effort.

StephenGiles

I'd say it's nice to have a young lady on the site and say welcome.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".