Shorting and non-shorting switches

Started by alparent, February 03, 2010, 01:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

What is the difference between using a shorting or a non-shorting switch as my effect bypass switch?

zachomega

I assume you are talking about rotary switches or flip switches.  I don't think I have ever seen push switches that ever specified this.

Shorting also known as make before break:
Imagine an SPDT switch.  At the exact moment of switching, both terminals of the switch are making a connection to the common terminal.

This effect was exploited on early fender guitars with 3 position switches to enjoy those middle postions that we have grown to enjoy.

Non-shorting also known as break before make:
Again imagine the SPDT switch.  At the exact moment of switching, neither terminal is making a connection with the common terminal. 

If the same trick was employed as was on a strat with this style switch with the toggle wedged half way between each position, nothing would be connected. 

-Zach

alparent

Thanks Zach........but I know what they are and what they do. I was wondering of the effect they would have as bypass switches?

Would they prevent the POP when turned off? Would one be better then the other? Would shorting ones cause (what I could describe as a scratch noise) when turned on and off?

I guess I will have to get one of both and try them out.