switchable gain pots on a ts-808

Started by MmmPedals, February 04, 2010, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmPedals

i want to build a tube screamer with one 500k  gain pot and one 1M pot footswitchable. i figured to get a bi color led indicator would require a 3pdt switch. any way to use a dpdt?
would fanning out from the resistor(ie two outs from the resistor) which goes into the gain pot be a bad idea? then out from each pot to the switch would leave a pole free for the led.

trjones1

Since the gain pot is wired as a variable resistor, you could connect lug 1 of both pots to the pcb and use one half of a DPDT to switch between lug 3 of each pot and use the other half of the switch to change the led. 

However, in my experience, switching between a 500k and 1M won't give you a huge difference in sound.  I don't think it's enough to justify using a footswitch.  If you want switchable gain in an overdrive I think the best thing is to add a simple booster to the front end that is switchable.  My favorite for this is a mini-booster.

MmmPedals

The idea is not to leave both pots in the same place. i would have the 500k 1/2-2/3 of the way up for rythm sounds and the 1M maed out for lead. So there would be a difference.

Tonemonger

Craig Anderton did a feature in Guitar Player magazine that is exactly what you want. It was called "Adding presets to analogue effects" or something like that, and it described making a small circuit board with rows of trimpots to switch between.
I'll endevour to find it But, don't hold Your breath ! -I've got 25+ years worth of various guitar,recording and electronics magazines.