Splatty Keeley modded DS-1?

Started by brianh, February 07, 2010, 10:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianh

Have a DS-1 I modded to seeing eye and ultra mods.  Have always used it with single coils and it sounds great.  Just plugged in my (humbucker) LP and never noticed how splatty it is when digging in or palm muting.  Almost like a fuzz face.  This normal?

brian

R.G.

Quote from: brianh on February 07, 2010, 10:49:18 AM
Have a DS-1 I modded to seeing eye and ultra mods.  Have always used it with single coils and it sounds great.  Just plugged in my (humbucker) LP and never noticed how splatty it is when digging in or palm muting.  Almost like a fuzz face.  This normal?
Dunno. Is an unmodified DS-1 splatting normal?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

brianh

Not that I recall.  This splattiness reminds me of a fuzzface, it's pretty distinct.  Again, sounds perfect with single coild, but my LP makes it sound like it's just pushed too far.  The LP's pickups are basic Fralins, nothing super hot.

brianh

Quick video to demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iedn9WUbwbA

Maybe I should play with the volume control more, couldn't get too loud with it this morning.

Electron Tornado

Your pedal doesn't sound right. Not sure why it would be bad with humbuckers, but OK with single coils, though.

It sounds like it's blatty on both high and low strings. Is it more prevalent on one or the other?

Is it still blatty with the distortion knob a minimum?

Do the notes taper off evenly, or is there a buzz at the end just as they fade out?
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

brianh

Tried it tonight, splatty on all settings of the distortion knob even all the way down.  Sounds OK when playing lightly, but when banging chords or single notes hard, it splats.  It's an instant type splat, like something is being overloaded/pushed too far.   ???

Any ideas where to start to look?

thanks,
brian

Electron Tornado

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm

There is a section called "Blatty or Gated Sound".

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?