various diode clipping mods

Started by Al Heeley, February 07, 2010, 12:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Heeley

I wanted to add in a load of diode clipping options into a tubescreamer circuit. This is pretty basic, wired into a rotary 6-way 2 pole switch.

I reckon there should be a much more efficient way of achieving this. Any suggestions?

Gus

I wire diodes to the switch no board when I build something like that.   You can make one side of the diode sets common and switch to the other sides.

Kearns892

Why not add a smoothing cap switch to further increase the tonal possibilities?

panterafanatic

Stand the diodes up, so they can occupy 2 holes each.

Also, I think you only need 1 pole.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Al Heeley

There is a smoothing cap option via the orange wires.

Here's the perfboard setup, not yet tested.
Not sure if I understand Gus comment - the LED's are for diode clipping stage, not on/off switch status

Kearns892

Yes, but if you set the smoothing cap up as a separate switch you could use it with every diode combination instead of just the 1n4148 which you use twice.

And I think Gus is saying that since the components involved are so small they can be soldered directly to a rotary switch to negate the need for the wires and a board.

Still though these are just suggestions, what you have should work and looks very neatly put together. Good job, let us know if you get it fired up and working.

Al Heeley

Al Heeley

Here's the final item using the clipping module.

Sonic Kitchen is a Tubescreamer (SRV Special, ex maxxon) circuit with the clipping module added to replace the original two side-by-side diodes, and with an extra input cap on a mini toggle switch which combines a 0.47uF and a 0.047uF (the original) cap.
The bigger cap gives a huge extension to the bass range making for some dark grungy overdrive also highly suitable as a Bass guitar distortion pedal.
Leave freq on high for the original characteristic Tubescreamer mid-boost, for lead guitar work.
The clipping switch works nicely, theres some subtle differences to the distortion characteristics trying out the different modes. A couple of sweet smooth creamy overdrives on the asymmetric, the Ge/Si mix and the smoothing cap setting, as well as some much higher gain, raw distortion tones using the LED settings.
Basically 6 overdrives in one, with a huge tonal range extension built in. The ultimate tubescreamer!

runmikeyrun

that thing looks awesome!  Soundclips!!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

sgmezei

Hey man the ScreamerX looks awesome. I am trying to do the same thing with a general guitar gadgets board and the rotary switch is confusing me. Does it need to be a single or double pull? Also, I am using a bigger big muff pie style enclosure so I have room for the extra perf board, but am wondering if I should attach the options right to the switch.

Thanks folks

sgmezei

Still waiting to hear if anybody has some tips. Oh and I meant to ask if the rotary needs to be a single or double "pole". Also, is there anywhere I can check out the Heeley Tubescreamer X?

Labaris

A long way is the sum of small steps.

Al Heeley

single pole rotary is fine. I've built a few of these now and gone back to a mini 3-way toggle switch as only 3 of the diode combinations are significantly different enough for me.
I go for:
1) red led pair
2) one Si and one Ge diode
3) asymmetric 3 Si diodes (4148 or similar)
Not found the smoothing cap to make much difference that cannot be covered by gain/vol pot settings, I love having the input cap switch giving a HUGE bass boost if you want to use it, gives a glorious thick guitar overdrive or makes it brilliant as bass distortion unit.