spaceship flanger

Started by flintstoned, February 10, 2010, 05:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintstoned

I came across wamplers spaceship mod for a boss bf2 flanger and am wondering if anyone would know how to strip the circuit down or another flanger to make a simple project to get that spaceship sound or if that's even a doable idea. Looked at eBay but used boss flangers are still kinda high in price to just mod it into a seldom used spaceship pedal, but it sounds so damn cool it'd be awesome to make one. Any ideas? Advice?
I forgot what I was gonna say here.

Tonemonger

I'm sure that some 80's cheapo flangers are probably direct clones of the BF2 although , I could'nt suggest any particular brand names with any certainty.
I've often wondered this myself.

flintstoned

I was thinking about that too, gonna do some schematic hunting and see what's similar but id still prefer to build it.

Derringer

is this the mod where you replace c27/c28 with lower capacitance ... like 10 uf each ?

I have a spare bf2 and I like the sound of this mod ... if this is the correct mod

sound clip here
http://www.bomb-mp3.com/download.php?mp3_id=1944063&title=bf2+spaceship+mod

flintstoned

Thats the soundclip but the mod i got has you adding just a .01 cap between 2 caps but in the pic i cant see the numbers. its the two caps by the 3102 chip, one leg on the + side of the electro by pin 8, other side to the cap right by pin 7.

Derringer

scroll down
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/boss-bf2-flanger.php

does that help?

I tried a vibrato mod that I found here
http://archive.ampage.org/articles/5/fxmt/263734/Re_Boss_BF-2_mods.html
and verified here
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=307

but it didn't do jack for me. if there's vibrato I can't hear it going on

I did swap c27/c28 for 4.7uf caps each and now it will do the ring mod type of tones which is cool ... but it's not quite what that spaceship mod sounds like. Swapping those caps must be part of the mod though because that clip has some ring-mod-ness to it.

what's the mod that you found exactly?

flintstoned

Aha c12 to c 30. Its an indyguitarist mod, he sell a book with almost a hundred mods on all the best pedals for dirt cheap! Great, great site check it out. Its just that one cap though which is cool cuz you can just use a spst toggle to get back to the normal flanger.

Derringer

Quote from: flintstoned on February 21, 2010, 07:11:27 PM
Thats the soundclip but the mod i got has you adding just a .01 cap between 2 caps but in the pic i cant see the numbers. its the two caps by the 3102 chip, one leg on the + side of the electro by pin 8, other side to the cap right by pin 7.

which leg of C30?

pin 5 or pin 7 of IC4?

pm me if you don't want to post it please

flintstoned

+ of c 12 to nearest leg on c 30 ( by pin 7)

flintstoned

Did you get to try this mod yet derringer? Just wondering how it turned out.

Derringer

flanger modded.mp3 - 2.50MB

first is clean
then regular flange
then I turn up the rate to get the ring mod sounds
then I flip the spaceship switch
then I hit some fuzz

I dig it. It's completely over the top and has a kind of sea-sick vibe to it.

Do it to yours yet ?

flintstoned

Those are some wicked soundclips bro! definitly putting that ring modulation mod in mine too (I finally got my flanger, a cheap johnson jf-2, same circuit, lil different layout) I also found a thread where some dude just put a single .47 box cap instead of the 2 electros, not as good as your mod, but still a nice texture tho. im gonna try some other caps around that range and see if i like it because i got alot of three way toggles, might be a good time to use one with the stock caps, 4.7s and .47s. Found some nice textures with different caps for the spaceship mod too, another 3way there too! This things turning into a monster! Frankenflanger!

Derringer

cool man

post back with your results and a clip if you can

I just ran some vocals through it ... very disorienting