Opened up my Dwarfcraft Shiva...Electrical tape Surrounding the board...??

Started by elenore19, February 10, 2010, 06:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elenore19

I opened it up to see what was used and what not so maybe I could make my own someday as a project.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is there a reason for it? The tape is literally wrapped from end to end around the board. Should I not try and remove it? I was thinking some neat work with scissors would allow me to get a look at it without having to de-solder anything.
Thoughts?

-Elliot

p.s.
Am I allowed to post a picture of it? Right now you can't see the board anyways, but for some reason I feel that it would still be a no no...but if someone gives me the go ahead, I already got one.

And sorry if this is in the wrong forum section.

runmikeyrun

it might be to keep the board from touching the sides and shorting, i've used that trick before  :icon_redface:
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

elenore19

Quote from: runmikeyrun on February 10, 2010, 06:50:28 PM
it might be to keep the board from touching the sides and shorting, i've used that trick before  :icon_redface:
Ahh alright. So if that's the case, I suppose I shouldn't mess.

petemoore

Nothing wrong with it ? ok then...
 I've wrapped boards in garbage bags...insulates and mounts in 1 super quick and very dirty trick !..just stuff all that and the extra right in there.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

elenore19

Quote from: petemoore on February 10, 2010, 06:54:04 PM
 Nothing wrong with it ? ok then...
 I've wrapped boards in garbage bags...insulates and mounts in 1 super quick and very dirty trick !..just stuff all that and the extra right in there.
For some reason I don't understand.

mikemaddux

Devi Ever does the same thing to her boards. 

Its just a way of doing things that may not look that pretty but it works. 

One time I had to do the same to make sure random components didnt make connection to the back of pots/switches/etc.
Completed Builds: A lot...

elenore19

Quote from: mikemaddux on February 10, 2010, 07:50:58 PM

One time I had to do the same to make sure random components didnt make connection to the back of pots/switches/etc.
Makes sense, he has it placed right where it definitely could make some bad contacts.

Is it worth it for me to try and get the tape off to see it? Or would there be too much risk of hurting it? I definitely DO NOT want to ruin the pedal. Anything I do to hurt it could probably be fixed pretty easily, right?

Thanks for the replies.

jacobyjd

Soooo...nobody has asked the obvious question: WHY do you want to open it?
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

elenore19

Quote from: jacobyjd on February 10, 2010, 08:33:28 PM
Not to be a dick. But did you even READ my post?
First sentence...
QuoteI opened it up to see what was used and what not so maybe I could make my own someday as a project.
And if maybe you're referring to "opening" the board by removing the tape..I want to do that so I could then see the board layout and components used.

Scruffie

bumblebee

mikemaddux

Quote from: elenore19 on February 10, 2010, 08:27:39 PM
Quote from: mikemaddux on February 10, 2010, 07:50:58 PM

Makes sense, he has it placed right where it definitely could make some bad contacts.

Is it worth it for me to try and get the tape off to see it? Or would there be too much risk of hurting it? I definitely DO NOT want to ruin the pedal. Anything I do to hurt it could probably be fixed pretty easily, right?

Thanks for the replies.

No
There might be.
Most likely.
Completed Builds: A lot...

jacobyjd

Quote from: elenore19 on February 10, 2010, 09:20:10 PM
Quote from: jacobyjd on February 10, 2010, 08:33:28 PM
Not to be a dick. But did you even READ my post?
First sentence...
QuoteI opened it up to see what was used and what not so maybe I could make my own someday as a project.
And if maybe you're referring to "opening" the board by removing the tape..I want to do that so I could then see the board layout and components used.

The below replies clarify my question :) I'd search high and low for a schematic before I'd ever consider opening one up, especially if it looks like it's not meant to be opened.

Quote from: Scruffie on February 10, 2010, 09:42:41 PM
It's Basically Three Boosters in series, Try 3 LPB-1s.

Quote from: bumblebee on February 10, 2010, 09:47:03 PM
I traced it, its three tweaked LPB-1's. Nothing special at all.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

bumblebee

Build quality is very poor IMO. Very poor indeed.

Yet, this is what sells as "boutique" these days.

elenore19

Quote from: bumblebee on February 11, 2010, 01:22:15 AM
Build quality is very poor IMO. Very poor indeed.

Yet, this is what sells as "boutique" these days.
I don't even know that much and still think that it definitely doesn't live up to "boutique" quality.