Triboost PCB equivalent?

Started by tcr77, February 15, 2010, 03:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcr77

I'd like to build one of the BYOC Triboosts, but they are not currently selling the PCBs by themselves, and I don't want to shell out almost $100 for the kit. Anyone know where I can get a PCB? Or an equivalent? I like the Triboost's option of having both a Treble boost sound as well as a full-boost. In fact my favorite pedal in Logic 9 is the Hi-Drive Treble Boost for that exact reason. Now I want one for my real-world pedal board. Any ideas? I can source all the components myself, just need the PCB. Thanks!

Processaurus

I haven't made it yet, but "Thor" at runoffgroove.com might be what you're looking for. 

I initially thought the triboost was a compelling design, but thinking about it the BYOC design was kind of strange, because it maxes the gain, and then passively attenuates it with the pot, in order to share one "gain" knob between the three different circuits.  The ideal way to boost in audio for best headroom and noise performance with a pot is making it a true variable gain element, like most boosters.  The guitar is likely getting distorted, though, and plenty noisy on its own, so that kind of gain scheduling might not be a deal breaker.

tcr77

The Thor? Isn't that a plexi simulator? Is it good as a booster too? Will it do both treble and full boost?

Processaurus

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/