Pot shaft extension to use with expression pedal

Started by Flenix, February 15, 2010, 06:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flenix

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to this forum (well, forums all together really) but I need help finding a part I need.
Basically, I had this crazy idea recently after reading one line on a forum somewhere "I put my PH-3 in an expression pedal, with the treadle controlling the rate" and that totally set me off. I've now got the crazy idea that I will make a dual-treadle pedal, with each treadle controlling the Tone and Gain of a boss DS-1 (so I can do various gain swells and the like). I tried it out by just strumming and turning the knobs, and it sounded pretty cool, so I thought I'd go for it.

So far, the only problem I have hit is the cables for the pots are no where near long enough to reach out to where they need to be. I can use a soldering iron, but I don't trust myself when it comes to soldering connections that small, and that close together. So I thought a much easier solution would be to extend the shaft of the pots.

I have (after a long time searching) found various extensions for the pots, but there are two problems:
1. they are all in USA - I live in UK and although I CAN order the parts from USA, I'd rather get UK based as they will be faster and cheaper delivery.
2. they always seem to be smooth shafts. The pots on the pedal have (I don't really know the technical term...) bumpy shafts, which the teeth would grip perfectly and would mean they'd turn fine when I rock the expression, but the extensions are smooth and therefore wouldn't turn when I rock the treadle. Any way around this (some kind of modification I can do to them, or even better an extension that is also "bumpy"?

Any help very much appreciated! Also any other tips for the pedal would be great. So far for it I'm stealing the treadles off a couple of dead cry babies and using a large enclosure (double boss pedal size) from Maplin.

Taylor

I know this isn't the answer you want, but learn to solder. ;) Putting soldering off the table will make a thousand more headaches for you if you're into messing with electronics. It's akin to wanting to get into hot rodding your car but not wanting to use a wrench.

You can buy the gear to make a regular pot into a treadle-controllable pot here:

Http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=835

Flenix

I can solder to a certain extent, just on the board the connections for the pots are literally a millimeter apart. I'm worried that if I try and solder them, the solder would go together and short it out or something. I just don't trust myself on things that small :P I've soldered countless guitars though.

That item on small bear looks perfect though, I found a few over in UK now that I know what i'm looking for. Thanks!

Top Top

I've extended pots before (for a DIY expression pedal) by using a length of dowel with a hole drilled down the middle, slightly smaller than the pot shaft so that it will fit snugly.

zombiwoof

I think what you need is to use a long shaft pot, like those in wah pedals (if I'm understanding you correctly).  You can get them in various values, and you can modify the value using resistors.  You'd need to attach the little gears on the end of the shafts, like in a wah, use something like epoxy if it's a plain shaft.

Al

PRR

• SUPPORTER

davent

You may also need a panel bushing/bearing for where the shaft comes through the enclosure, like these from Keystone.  http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/p56.pdf Mouser carries the bearings.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg