Soldering Pencil vs Station

Started by benallison, February 18, 2010, 05:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benallison

I'm due. The Ratshack pencil has melted its last!

So, I'm torn: I'll be doing mostly PCB work (pedals, preamp kits, guitar electronics, basic rework, etc), and am thinking something like the Weller WES51 would be ideal.

But, would a Weller 40 pencil be enough? I'd love to be able to spend as little as possible!

imbuedblue

Go for the WES51, or if budget is that big of a concern try this:

http://www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/379.html

I own both a station and two Weller pencils. I tend to use the station for most work as it is easier to control the temperature and I like the smaller conical tips. I keep a pencil in my gig repair case for emergencies and occasionally bust out the 40-watt pencil for soldering chassis grounds in amps or onto the backs of guitar pots when a larger mass tip is necessary.

danielzink

Buy a station now or continue buying soldering pencils until you've spent enough to have bought a decent station..........

You can get a Xytronic 379 at Howard Electronics for 50$.......

I haven't even gotten close to replacing my first tip in a little over a year...

Dan

benallison

Quote from: danielzink on February 18, 2010, 05:45:02 PM
Buy a station now or continue buying soldering pencils until you've spent enough to have bought a decent station..........

The thing is the Weller stations more or less use a pencil, connected to a base, so I'm unclear as to what makes one better.

Quote from: danielzink on February 18, 2010, 05:45:02 PM

I haven't even gotten close to replacing my first tip in a little over a year...

Is that because of using a station, or using better tips? Or cleaning them more rigorously?

benallison

I wanted to get the Xytronic a while back, but shipping to Canada kills it for me.

My only real options are all Weller: standalone pencil, WLC100 and the WES51.

Taylor

The Radio Shack tips are really junky compared to a station's tips. The better tips (which cost about the same as the Radio Shack tips) have a special coating that keeps them from getting corroding and disintegrating. I was in your same spot for a while, wondering what makes a station so much better, then I got one and found out. I bought an Aoyue station with digital temperature readout, and it's awesome. About $50, same as the Xytronic.

So,
-tips last way longer (I haven't needed to replace the tip in the 6 months I've had it),
-the pencil is more lightweight and smaller than a one-piece iron, so handling it, getting it in tight spots is way easier.
-Having temperature control is great - you can crank up the heat and solder to audio jacks and enclosures without waiting forever.
-The iron takes just a couple of seconds to heat up instead of a minute or two.
-It actually works out the same in price as a $10 iron and a new tip every couple of weeks (depending on how much you solder)

I've been thinking for a while about upgrading to the Aoyue with a built in hot air system now that I'm doing some SMD stuff. So, if I do, I would sell my station for pretty cheap.

alparent

Quote from: Taylor on February 18, 2010, 06:12:22 PM
I've been thinking for a while about upgrading to the Aoyue with a built in hot air system now that I'm doing some SMD stuff. So, if I do, I would sell my station for pretty cheap.

OK! How much?

Before the end of March?

G. Hoffman

I can't speak for other stations, but I LOVE my two WES-51's.  (One at home, and one at work.)  One of mine is actually the WESD-51 digital version, which is a little easier to set the temperature on.  I actually think the D is worth it.

Gabriel

PRR

The Radio Shed junk is mostly junk, intended for doing one rush-job on Saturday. They used to stock the better stuff; half my solder tools are from the Shed. But it didn't sell (I got much of my stash on close-out). If you are going to USE your tool, shop elsewhere.

A -good- iron is a lifetime buy. I bought several Weller-grade handles, heaters, and tips back in the 1970s, and still use them. 99% the one handle, one heater, and now that I've semi-accepted iron-clad tips, just one tip since 1995. (The old copper tips would burn-up in a few hundred hours.) I got spares, but at this rate I'll out-live them.

Got a "temp controlled station", hated it. But this is very much a matter of taste and style. I'm a stone-age man, I like stone-age tools, as long as it is GOOD stone. Gabriel has been trained in a high-craft woodshop, appreciates a fine hand-gouge but also a router with micrometer adjustment.

It's possible to do fine work either way. But so many young guys and old experts like the temp-controlled solder stations, that you should probably try that before you hunt for the last of the good dumb irons.

• SUPPORTER

benallison

So something like the WLC100... how does it compare to the WES51, as far as pure soldering experience goes (bells and whistles aside)?

Philippe

Quote from: Taylor on February 18, 2010, 06:12:22 PM
The Radio Shack tips are really junky...
Ditto...figure on about going through two of them just to complete a basic project.
Quote from: PRR on February 18, 2010, 08:24:36 PM
The Radio Shed junk is mostly junk, intended for doing one rush-job on Saturday.
A -good- iron is a lifetime buy. I bought several Weller-grade handles, heaters, and tips back in the 1970s, and still use them. 99% the one handle, one heater, and now that I've semi-accepted iron-clad tips, just one tip since 1995. (The old copper tips would burn-up in a few hundred hours.) I got spares, but at this rate I'll out-live them.
Those older, traditional style Weller handles/heaters/tips are sturdy & dependable over the long haul.  Trying to compare them to the current RS stuff is like...no comparison.

benallison

Quote from: Philippe on February 18, 2010, 11:48:24 PM
Ditto...figure on about going through two of them just to complete a basic project.

Dude, I was replacing a 1/8" plug on a pair of headphones... the Radio Shack tip didn't even last for two leads. It was covered in black gunk after 5 minutes, even though I religiously cleaned the tip as a I went.

GARBAGE!

benallison

Well, the WES51 was $150, and the WLC100 was on sale for $50 (living in Canada blows) so I grabbed a WLC100.

We'll see how she goes! Worst case scenario: I end up buying a WES51 (or similar) down the road.

I got some tip cleaner, and the brass sponge, so I plan on taking good care of my tips.

Renegadrian

I usually buy "pencils", some just don't last enough as the tip gets ruined and can't find replacements
Then I recently bought this one and it's quite good
Then also this one and it's a good too, plus it has a replaceble tip (but I guess it will last long) and a LED to light up the board, so handy for those lat at night sessions...
Also got a station, my GF's brother got it from me, it's quite cool!!!
Here it is, a little cheaper then the others you suggested.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

KazooMan

I have been using a simple Weller pencil iron.  I also had trouble finding replacement tips and when I did I found that they cost about the same as a new iron.

So.....  I bought some 3/16" copper rod off the Internet.  I already had a set of taps and dies and found that the 10-24 threads were the right ones for the iron.  I thread one end of the rod and then cut off the proper length.  I screw it into the iron and then use a file or bench grinder to shape the tip the way I want.  Heat it up and tin it all over and I'm good to go.  I can make all the tips I need for pennies apiece.  I also can afford to make a custom shaped tip if I need to, such as a needle fine point or a curved tip that can reach under components.  The tips don't last any better than the originals that came with the iron, but I no longer care.  The thin tips burn up pretty fast, but they get the job done.

On the other hand, the stations look very nice.  I see one in my future real soon.

benallison

Wow.

So I fired up the new iron today... WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

In the time it took me to just WARM UP the old Radioshack iron, I had FINISHED the job I was working on! 5-10 minutes. The same job took over an hour on the Radioshack iron, and the joints were horrendous.

The job was a simple headphone plug swap.

The solder flowed smoothly... the tip didn't get all gunky. I timed it and the WLC100 heated up in about 1.5 minutes.

Just a joy to work with.

jkokura

The right kind of tip helps a lot to. I usually use a Weller 25 watt pencil. I can change the tips, and have probably gone through 3 or 4 since Christmas. However, today I decided to use a flathead screwdriver style tip - WOW - what a difference. I love this tip because it's waaay easier to use, keep clean, and I found myself working quicker than normal while retaining my usual anal retentive attention to detail. Fun.

I do want a station with heat control to be able to get hotter or cooler if I need. I'm sure that will help protect my tips too.

I also find it helpful to use a damp sponge not a wet one. It's much easier to clean on a damp sponge than a wet one because the extra solder stays hot and melted. A wet sponge cools the tip down too quickly and instead of having the extra solder come off, it clings to the tip when it gets cold too quickly. Damp sponge + clean often + right tip, right heat = easy soldering.

Jacob

benallison

Quote from: jkokura on February 21, 2010, 12:55:17 AMI also find it helpful to use a damp sponge not a wet one. It's much easier to clean on a damp sponge than a wet one because the extra solder stays hot and melted. A wet sponge cools the tip down too quickly and instead of having the extra solder come off, it clings to the tip when it gets cold too quickly. Damp sponge + clean often + right tip, right heat = easy soldering.

You should try one of these:

WAY better than a damp sponge. Gets the tip super clean. I find the sponge can add gunk over time. The brass sponge is killer.

Taylor

Where do you get that brass sponge thing? I've wanted one but can't find it at Mouser or ebay. I suspect I'm just not calling it the right thing.