Difference in sound between OC44 and CV7003? Anyknow know?

Started by Bluesgeetar, September 28, 2003, 10:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesgeetar

Anyone here listen to both CV7003 and OC44 trannys and can tell a difference?  Do they sound the same?  I mean do they both have that authentic Range Master Magic sound?

thanks
Fellers

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

CV7003 is merely the UK military numbering for the OC44. It isn't in any  a special military type, just a number forced on to the manufacturers.

Bluesgeetar

thanks for the response man.  All help appreciated!

Ammscray

The CV7003's were "supposed" to be cherry-picked (my choice of words) or military grade quality in the same fashion as JAN (Joint-Army-Navy)tubes in the US were to the regular grade tubes...since the construction of a tube is much more elaborate than a transistor, with the tranny it may just boil down to noise, as opposed to both sides of the tube in a 7025/12AX7A being matched, and all the other considerations for the JAN label...

In my experience with the ones I have, the CV's are NOT necessarliy less noisy than some of the OC44's, but they do have a different sound to my ears...to me just as different as an OC71 sounds from an OC44...which can be alot...neither one is "better" than another...they're both "good" when you get good ones...:)
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"