found: a great visual learning electronics site!- must see to believe

Started by Quackzed, February 19, 2010, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quackzed

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/e-index.html

check it out!
these little apps allow you to see how all these 'circuit building blocks' work!
transistors,filters,diodes,opamps, on and on....

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

aron

JKowalski

Falstad's simulator has had a weird history on this site. I think I have seen this same topic more then 5 times.  :icon_rolleyes: Yet, it never really catches on.

I am thinking about writing a little tutorial on using his simulator so that everyone can get a good introduction to electronic computer simualtion and be well versed in the limitations and the exemplary qualities of this little tool. I use it all the time, especially for filter design since you can see frequency response graph changes in real time. It's also useful since it is a web app - you can use it on any computer with no hassle. The file system tops it off and makes it extremely versatile.

Quackzed

yeah, someone made a reference to it on another thread ,but I figured it was so useful, i'd post it on it's own.
It's been really helpful to me already... and kind of fun as well. ;D
I figured it may have been touched on before, but not everyone knows its there so it deserved another go.
if you havent tried the apps, try them out they're great little learning tools.
;D

Processaurus

That's really great, I'll point people there when they ask me how to electronic stuff works.

Could anyone point me towards a tool to download and archive a website like that locally on my computer, just in case one day it goes offline?  Thanks, I tried Httrack website copier but none of the java demonstrations were working...

Quackzed

QuoteI am thinking about writing a little tutorial on using his simulator so that everyone can get a good introduction to electronic computer simualtion and be well versed in the limitations and the exemplary qualities of this little tool.

I'm sure that would be very helpful for people, like myself, who are not so familiar with interactive? applets like this.

:icon_redface:I didn't realize untill just now, you can change resistor values, voltage, caps, by right clicking them! :icon_eek:
you can even add components?
I would definately read it!

JKowalski

Quote from: Quackzed on February 19, 2010, 08:04:01 PM
QuoteI am thinking about writing a little tutorial on using his simulator so that everyone can get a good introduction to electronic computer simualtion and be well versed in the limitations and the exemplary qualities of this little tool.

I'm sure that would be very helpful for people, like myself, who are not so familiar with interactive? applets like this.

:icon_redface:I didn't realize untill just now, you can change resistor values, voltage, caps, by right clicking them! :icon_eek:
you can even add components?
I would definately read it!

Yeah, you can do pretty much anything LTspice or similar can do (except the precision simulation XD). You can change any values of components, you can build any circuit with the components that it provides (a HUGE library) and you can scope your circuit in operation. You can add real time pushbuttons, latching switches, potentiometers.... etc.  :icon_biggrin:

I too did not notice that it could do all the until a few days after I found it. There's not mmuch of an explaination on the stie itself, so I think writing that tutorial would be helpful. It's also important to note that you need to know how to use the time step control to get usable results from the scope simulations. The time base is also adjustable in real time, like everything else. Where a typical spice program fails in this department (real time), Falstad's simulator excels and so the two are not mutually exclusive. I use both for different situations, and I think I actually use Falstad's more.

Adji

Thats awesome man, thanks a lot for the link, this will be helpful.

cloudscapes

oh man this is PERFECT for me!
I'm terrible at math, really really terrible. I understand things when presented visually and animated but go comatose when confronted with formulas.

ferfect!  ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

mantella

there's a link to download the applet on this page:

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/index.html

just click on "Zip archive of this applet"

Taylor

I found this thing a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. I have to admit that I still don't really understand things as presumably simple as Ohm's Law, for example. Sometimes I hit a wall, and think, "I bet that has something to do with current or impedance, or some other such thing I don't understand on a fundamental level". This program is helping me understand these things beyond a theoretical understanding of formulae.

I think this needs to be stickied because it's an enormous wealth of knowledge for anyone doing DIY electronics.

Brymus

Yeah I posted a link to it in one of my threads ,and have seen it before from links in other threads.
I think all the Falstad stuff is super cool.
I first saw it trying to understand bridge rectifiers,the sim for that is really neat I finally understood what was happening,(somewhat at least)
I agree a sticky for the Falstad site is a good idea.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience