So i got these knobs

Started by realizewhoitis, February 19, 2010, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realizewhoitis

I ordered some knobs from futurlec and they dont fit (http://www.futurlec.com/SwKnob.shtml part number KNOB3).  What have I done wrong?  I am just using standard 16mm Pots from PPP.

liddokun

Not sure which model you got specifically, but the first one lists "for knurled shafts", which probably means they don't have a set screw.

You're using 16mm solid shaft pots from PPP, correct? You want the knobs with set screw.
To those about to rock, we salute you.

realizewhoitis

Quote from: liddokun on February 19, 2010, 03:16:34 PM
Not sure which model you got specifically, but the first one lists "for knurled shafts", which probably means they don't have a set screw.

You're using 16mm solid shaft pots from PPP, correct? You want the knobs with set screw.
these have set screws but the head of the shaft wont even fit in

MarcoMike

I noticed some pots have slightly larger shafts... that could be your case too
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Kearns892

Yeah, mine have the same problem. No idea what's up there.

sean k

If you have a drill press and a reasonably good vice for it then drill out the knob, it's usually 10ths of mm's so the drill will follow the hole as long as it's snug and not tightly held, to what it needs to be. I use lots of old radio knogs and often have to do this... haven't ever been causght out the other way where the shaft is too small for the knob but even then I'd get some shim.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

trjones1

The set screw knobs from Futurlec won't fit on standard smooth-shaft pots.  Not everything from Futurlec is at it seems!  There have been many threads about Futurlec's, shall we say, eccentricities.  If you search through them there are good tips for what to avoid. 

I personally like futurlec, but there is a learning curve to figuring out what they are good for and what they're not.  Of course, I would say the same thing about all the places I do mail order from.

Derringer

Quote from: sean k on February 19, 2010, 03:44:27 PM
If you have a drill press and a reasonably good vice for it then drill out the knob, it's usually 10ths of mm's so the drill will follow the hole as long as it's snug and not tightly held, to what it needs to be. I use lots of old radio knogs and often have to do this... haven't ever been causght out the other way where the shaft is too small for the knob but even then I'd get some shim.

+1

I found an old stereo left out in the trash one day, harvested the knobs (no set screws) and drilled them out so that they'd fit snuggly on some pots. They've held tight ever since.

frequencycentral

16mm solid shaft pots are available with either 6mm or 6.3mm shafts. So are knobs. I got caught out on that one once and had to drill out the knobs to 6.3mm.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

MikeH

Sometimes there are burrs leftover from where the set screw is threaded through.  If you take the biggest drill bit you have that will fit into the hole on the knob (preferably one the just barely fits with a little wiggle room) and roll it around on the bit while using a hand drill you can clean up the inside of the knob enough so that it will fit on the pot shaft.  Make sure the screw is backed out so that you don't tear it up, and make sure not to take you fingers off either.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

John Lyons

Quote from: frequencycentral on February 20, 2010, 12:20:38 PM
16mm solid shaft pots are available with either 6mm or 6.3mm shafts. So are knobs. I got caught out on that one once and had to drill out the knobs to 6.3mm.

Yep, got a bunch of them...A pain but doable.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

realizewhoitis

well i guess thats what im going ot have to do..seems like this is something that should be labeled

kurtlives

Drill the knob out with a 1/4" drill bit and your good to go. I use my drill press and a litle table top vice.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

John Lyons

Except that they need to be larger that the 1/4" bit.
Just wiggle the bit around in the hole and you should be able to reach 6.3.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

moose23

Quote from: frequencycentral on February 20, 2010, 12:20:38 PM

Same problem here, and same solution as below except I used a 6mm bit. :)

Quote from: John Lyons on February 21, 2010, 06:02:20 PM

kurtlives

Quote from: John Lyons on February 21, 2010, 06:02:20 PM

Hmm odd my 1/4" bit works just perfectly. Snug but not an effort to put the knob on.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

soggybag

I had the same problem. I've had a few of these knobs lying around for a few years. You're inspiring me to drill them out. How do you clamp them without marring the knob?

Kearns892

I don't own a drill press. Would it be stupid for me to try this with a hand drill even if its just for a couple?

nbabmf

I tried hand drilling some knobs and they broke when the bit caught and twisted the metal insert inside the plastic.  I would probably take a file or Dremel to the pot shafts before I drilled knobs again.

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.