Bazz Fuss Layout I Made?

Started by Adji, February 20, 2010, 12:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adji

Hey guys. I just made this layout for the Bazz Fuss based on the schematic at BeavisAudio. Could someone quickly check it, I think it is right.

I know it could be crammed into a much smaller area but I find working with bigger boards is a little easier for me.

One Question - If I wanted to add a gain pot where would this go? I know a volume pot would go inbetween the C2 and the Output jack.

Thanks for the continued help guys. It is weird, I actually enjoy making layouts from schematics.

IvIark

No there's a few mistakes, you've got the diode connected before the input cap instead of after it, and R1 & C2 are connected to the base instead of the collector.  You also don't really need the ground link, just make the connection two rows up from the input and output sleeves.

Adji

Quote from: IvIark on February 20, 2010, 01:08:31 PM
No there's a few mistakes, you've got the diode connected before the input cap instead of after it, and R1 & C2 are connected to the base instead of the collector.  You also don't really need the ground link, just make the connection two rows up from the input and output sleeves.

Hey man thanks for replying.

Can you explain HOW I have the diode connected first? From my understanding the input is connected directly to the Cap? Ah I see the problem with the R1 and C2 now, I will attempt to rectify that cheers.

Also I am not sure I understand your last sentence about the grounding? Are you saying I should have the jacks sleeves connected to the Tranny Emitter?

moose23

Quote from: Adji on February 20, 2010, 01:38:06 PM
Quote from: IvIark on February 20, 2010, 01:08:31 PM

Hey man thanks for replying.

Can you explain HOW I have the diode connected first? From my understanding the input is connected directly to the Cap? Ah I see the problem with the R1 and C2 now, I will attempt to rectify that cheers.

Also I am not sure I understand your last sentence about the grounding? Are you saying I should have the jacks sleeves connected to the Tranny Emitter?

The input is connected to the cap but on the same row you have the diode so it is also connected directly to the diode. With regards the grounds/jack sleeves, they're already connected to the emitter and there's no need to have them on separate rows. If you move the jack sleeves up two rows the connection is the same but you've saved on using a jumper. That make sense?

IvIark

Also are you sure about the component values?  I didn't think the Bazz Fuzz used 2 x 10uF caps.

This is the basic layout as it should be based on your layout:

Adji

I see what you mean about the grounding yeah.

The diode still confuses me, I thought that the way the diode worked it would prevent signal from travelling into it that way? The 'line' 'blocks' signal??

Anyway, I could not come up with a layout that seemed correct so I found this one on the net, I think in the gallery.

How could I add a gain pot? Or can I only add a volume pot?

Adji

Quote from: IvIark on February 20, 2010, 02:30:05 PM
Also are you sure about the component values?  I didn't think the Bazz Fuzz used 2 x 10uF caps.

This is the basic layout as it should be based on your layout:

I was following this schematic / diagram mate. http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/projects/bbp_BazzFuss.pdf Definitely states two 10uFs.
If I am not mistaken having 10uF caps will make for more bass?

IvIark

Yes the components in the schematics I've seen were probably selected for guitar

Kearns892

You can add a gain knob by placing a 1k potentiometer with lug 1 connected to the emitter of the transistor and the middle and other outer lug connected to ground. Maximum gain will be the default state (no resistance to ground) and increasing the resistance to ground decreases gain. I found that the 1k pot was actually too large and until about half way there was no audible variation in gain so i wired in a fixed resistor parallel with the potentiometer (one side connected to transistor emitter and other to ground). Since resistors in parallel decrease resistance, I decreased the range of my potentiometer to the more meaningful half of the spectrum where I was getting actual variation. Exactly how much resistance you need in parallel might take some trial and error, you could consider even using a trimmer.

Hope this helps

Adji

Quote from: Kearns892 on February 20, 2010, 02:46:23 PM
You can add a gain knob by placing a 1k potentiometer with lug 1 connected to the emitter of the transistor and the middle and other outer lug connected to ground. Maximum gain will be the default state (no resistance to ground) and increasing the resistance to ground decreases gain. I found that the 1k pot was actually too large and until about half way there was no audible variation in gain so i wired in a fixed resistor parallel with the potentiometer (one side connected to transistor emitter and other to ground). Since resistors in parallel decrease resistance, I decreased the range of my potentiometer to the more meaningful half of the spectrum where I was getting actual variation. Exactly how much resistance you need in parallel might take some trial and error, you could consider even using a trimmer.

Hope this helps

Thanks very much mate! Not sure I understood the scientific wired in series resistors bit haha, but cheers. I have just finished soldering the components to some vero so I will try hooking it up to my breadboard and trying out different pots?

walker

on that beavis board project page...in regards to the +/- sides of the capacitors, (C1)  the schematic does not match the graphic.  Which way is right?  And to be 100% sure... which way does the diode go.  negative to B, positive to C?   I've found so many conflicting schematics and graphics for this circuit. 

Adji

For a volume control, would I send the output from the board to Lug 3, Lug 1 sends to the output jack tip, and Lug 2 would ground on the ground strip on the board? I ask because I don't want to solder it and find out I have done it wrong. I am CRAP at de-soldering haha.

IvIark

On the Beavis schematic and it shows the capacitors as I put them on the vero layout, input to positive, negative to base.  And collector to positive, negative to output.
The diode is cathode to base, anode to collector

IvIark

Output cap to 3
2 to output
1 to ground

Adji

Quote from: IvIark on February 20, 2010, 03:38:36 PM
Output cap to 3
2 to output
1 to ground

Ah cheers mate. I must have gotten confused, I thought 2 was the 'wiper' and always went to ground?

IvIark

2 is the wiper but if 3 is the output cap and 1 is ground, it "pans" between the two, full volume when it's rotated to the output cap, no volume when it's rotated to ground.

Adji

Quote from: IvIark on February 20, 2010, 03:52:33 PM
2 is the wiper but if 3 is the output cap and 1 is ground, it "pans" between the two, full volume when it's rotated to the output cap, no volume when it's rotated to ground.

Okay mate thanks, I better re-read how pots work, I thought I had this down.

walker

Quote from: walker on February 20, 2010, 03:17:49 PM
on that beavis board project page...in regards to the +/- sides of the capacitors, (C1)  the schematic does not match the graphic.  Which way is right? 

nevermind, it does match, I don't know what I was thinking  :-[   Still, I've seen conflicting diagrams.