The Protosynth

Started by SeanI, February 22, 2010, 04:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanI

I took the front end of the blue box, added a sallen key filter before the comparator stage, a digital octave-up (see Tim Escobedo) section, and controls for all the octaves.  I'm pretty pleased with the results, although I think it could track better if I put a compression stage someone before the square wave conversion.  Let me know what you think.

Video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH9UxZ8mlYs

modsquad

Oh dear god, why?   I guess I just don't get it.  ???

What kind of music would you play to use something like that for more than a one off song.   I guess I'm just old or clueless.
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

tommy.genes

You could be the a guitarist for a Chiptune band...  :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

I actually think it sounds pretty cool and tracks well.

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

Adji

Not really my thing, but nice build nonetheless, and it seems to work well.

Derringer

I think it sounds sweet

and I think it would sound even cooler with a clean blend on it in front of something like a superfuzz

nice work!

Top Top

I was going to say that around :55 it sounds like lightning bolt... then I saw the keyword tags.  :icon_mrgreen:

I can definitely see a use for it, and had planned to combine the PWM and the digital octaver fuzz eventually myself, similar idea.

SeanI

Quote from: Top Top on February 22, 2010, 06:22:11 PM
I was going to say that around :55 it sounds like lightning bolt... then I saw the keyword tags.  :icon_mrgreen:

I can definitely see a use for it, and had planned to combine the PWM and the digital octaver fuzz eventually myself, similar idea.

If you look up Tim Escobedo's digital octave up you'll see the RC network before the XOR gate.  If you pick the right cap value and change the resistor to a potentiometer you can have a pseudo pulse width control.  I say pseudo because the duty cycle of your signal ends up being frequency dependent.

John Lyons

A blend would be nice I agree, just nice to have options for
some clean mixed in to get a little breathing room into the mix.
Sounds good though

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

a soBer Newt

I really like what you did with this! i will have to try it out  :icon_biggrin:

aron

mikemaddux

cool build......can it clean up at all?
Completed Builds: A lot...

mth5044

That was pretty cool, nice job. I could definitely see the use for that in several kinds of music.