Snarling Dogs Mold Spore wah

Started by nbabmf, February 22, 2010, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbabmf

Does anyone have a schematic or tracing?  I e-mailed Snarling Dogs a couple weeks ago and didn't get a reply.

I brought one in for what I thought was a basic repair... wah side works, ring mod doesn't.  I replaced the MAX1044 which I believed was the cause of the ring mod issues, but now it's just motorboating the ring mod side and the wah side doesn't work.  There's probably a bad connection somewhere now because of all the cheesy wires you have to unhook to flip the board over.  This thing is a piece of crap haha.

joegagan

i have one. works perfectly because kenny segal (the designer and proprietor of snarling d) reconditioned it for me for a reasonable fee. there were many Qc probs with the pedals, the chinese mfgr took a lot of cart blanche, leaving kenny holding the bag. i will check my email to see if i can get you a good email for him.

my unit is currently at a friend's but i will be happy to take detailed interior shots for you. you should be able to rebuild yours using the photos if the production run is similar colors wires, etc.

i absolutely love this pedal. do whatever it takes to get it working.

checkout my 2 vids featuring this pedal, it really talks! wow wowowwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCMo-ynOFh4

pt 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4loRMizbfU&feature=related
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

nbabmf

Haha, I just PMed you literally right before posting this thread.  I like your videos.

Quality control problems for sure... not to mention poor layout.  I have to yank out all those connectors just to flip the board over.  I checked continuity and it seems like all the pots, switches, and so on are fine... but you never know.  One minute the wah side worked, the next minute it didn't.  I think I'm on the right track with the ring mod side, though.  The motorboating tells me something is working now...

Paul Marossy

Wow, that's wild sounding. I love those robot sounding noises. I wonder if Scott Henderson used this wah pedal on the Tribal Tech tune called "Nairobi Express"? It sounds very similar to some of what you're doing in the video at around 3:00 to 3:20 into the video.

nbabmf

This pedal HATES anything less than 9v.  It doesn't even work right when the battery hits 7v.  I plugged it into an adapter instead of a battery so I could check voltages in relation to a true 9v, and it suddenly works.

nbabmf

To my credit, a couple wires also busted loose when I flipped the board over.  None of them were tinned before being soldered to the switches or pots.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: nbabmf on February 22, 2010, 08:03:22 PM
This pedal HATES anything less than 9v.  It doesn't even work right when the battery hits 7v.  I plugged it into an adapter instead of a battery so I could check voltages in relation to a true 9v, and it suddenly works.

Huh, interesting...

StereoKills

I had a Snarling Dog Fire Bawl years ago. I loved the tone of it, but it had more hiss than a dozen angry cats. Unfortunately got stolen along with a bunch of other gear. :(  Anyone know a circuit that sounds similar?
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

ilcaccillo

Hi,
thanks everyone for the tips.

I was able to repair the ring modulator circuit on my mold spore today, by following your advise and replacing the Max 1044.

The pedal has still one problem that I can't figure out how to solve.

With just the Wha circuit engaged theres an ugly distortion when the rocker pedal is fully turned up (bass part of the sweep), this happens in either of the 3 wha settings , and independent on the wha volume pot position.

I will make some sound samples so it's easier to show the problem.
The distortion only appears in the bass part of the sweep and it's like an ugly gated fuzz.

The wha circuit in this pedal is the same as the "Whine-O Wha"

Did anyone have this problem with the mold spore or with any other snarling dogs wha?

engelheimer

Snarling Dog Addicted to Wah

Replaced the distortion switch and like an idiot thought I remembered the colors.

Any help would be appreciated!

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: ilcaccillo on December 14, 2016, 07:37:45 PM
Hi,
thanks everyone for the tips.

I was able to repair the ring modulator circuit on my mold spore today, by following your advise and replacing the Max 1044.

The pedal has still one problem that I can't figure out how to solve.

With just the Wha circuit engaged theres an ugly distortion when the rocker pedal is fully turned up (bass part of the sweep), this happens in either of the 3 wha settings , and independent on the wha volume pot position.

I will make some sound samples so it's easier to show the problem.
The distortion only appears in the bass part of the sweep and it's like an ugly gated fuzz.

The wha circuit in this pedal is the same as the "Whine-O Wha"

Did anyone have this problem with the mold spore or with any other snarling dogs wha?

check for bad solder or try replacing the wah pot. a bad connection can make that happen, as can a burnt spot on the wiper of the wah pot.

if you're brave and careful, you should be able to dissassemble the pot. if ya find a dead spot on the resistive track, fill it in with #2 pencil lead.
i've used that trick to bring back a reslietone from the shades when one of the sliders had been broken.
i crazy glued the track back together and filled in the missing spot with pencil lead. worked tits.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

ilcaccillo

Quote from: engelheimer on February 04, 2017, 02:36:59 PM
Snarling Dog Addicted to Wah

Replaced the distortion switch and like an idiot thought I remembered the colors.

Any help would be appreciated!

there's a lof of guts shots around also the schematic. Will that help?

ilcaccillo

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on February 04, 2017, 03:23:10 PM
check for bad solder or try replacing the wah pot. a bad connection can make that happen, as can a burnt spot on the wiper of the wah pot.

if you're brave and careful, you should be able to dissassemble the pot. if ya find a dead spot on the resistive track, fill it in with #2 pencil lead.

I will do that, will check all solder traces and connections. I just didn't have the time lately. Recording some audio to show you would be actually the best thing to do.
I don't think there's any problem with the Wha Pot to be honest, but I will check it out also like you suggested.
I'm alright to disassemble it in case needed, in that in the past, no worries.

Thank you so much

pinkjimiphoton

good luck my friend. let us know how ya make out!!!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

ilcaccillo

Quote from: ilcaccillo on February 05, 2017, 01:12:21 PM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on February 04, 2017, 03:23:10 PM

I will do that, will check all solder traces and connections. I just didn't have the time lately. Recording some audio to show you would be actually the best thing to do.
I don't think there's any problem with the Wha Pot to be honest, but I will check it out also like you suggested.
I'm alright to disassemble it in case needed, did that in the past, no worries.

Thank you so much