Original Big Muff PCB layouts

Started by peps1, February 23, 2010, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peps1

I was just wondering if anyone had come across any more Muff PCB tracer layouts, other then the Triangle V1

Especially after any from the SOVTEK Muffs.

ringworm

I traced this one from a gutshot of an older green russian, it would need to be sized properly I guess. Even at a glance I can tell I got the pad spacing on the jack inserts a bit out of whack.

bumblebee

I traced both IC versions, the 77 and 78 ones and kept the original layouts. I'll upload them later when i have time/find them.

peps1

ringworm, thats excellent! (do you happen to have a populated version?).

bumblebee look forward to seeing them.

Gila_Crisis thank for the link, much appreciated.

bumblebee

Quote from: Gila_Crisis on February 24, 2010, 11:03:48 AM
do you mean this one?

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Gila_Crisis/Big_Muff/Opamp_Big_Muff/ICBMPLayOut-1.jpg.html
Yeah that ones mine, plus I have another for the 78 vbersion with tone bypass. i cvhecked it and I havent actually finished the PCB...i mean it is finished but the traces arent wide enough so I'll get to it.

I'll upload both to my gallery (which is empty)

bumblebee

Here's an updated/edited version of the 1st issue green Sovtek PCB. Jack spacing is perfect. I put all the original markings (in cyrillic) on it so you can just use it as a drop in replacement if need be. You will still need to drill the three mounting holes so use your old PCB to mark for them.
K is collector/B is Base/3 is Emitter. I will make a parts layout for it at a latter date.

i didn't measure the PCB size but the distance from the center of one jack to the other is 6.9mm, that will help you if it gets messed up in size on some PC's.
'
(EDIT:Refresh for new image if you have already looked at this, I uploaded the wrong one)

NOTE: this PCB cannot be used in black Sovteks without editing the jacks spacing as its too wide.

peps1

bumblebee

Thanks man!  :icon_mrgreen:

CORRECTION, I made a typo before! it should be 6.9CM between jack center inserts, not 6.9mm.

I took one of my 1st issue green Sovteks apart and measured the PCB, its 9.5cmx9.5cm (95mmx95mm)and the space between the center of the jack pads to the center of the other jack pads is 7cm (70mm) but when the jacks are in its 6.9cm (69mm) so either will fit anyways.

I will make it into a DIY project in the next day or so, so people with stuffed PCBs (from modding etc as the early Russian PCB pads lift very easily) can just make a drop in replacement. In the Project I'll resize the border of the PCB to be exactly 95x95mm as well, save you guys having to do it.

peps1

Well once you done the SOVTEK "GREEN RUSSIAN" BIG MUFF π - VERSION 7 Revision C to scale, it wont be that difficult to adjust it to make drop in replacements PCB transfers for:

"RED ARMY"
"GRAY AND GOLD" VERSION 7
"CIVIL WAR"  VERSION 7 A
"CIVIL WAR"  VERSION 7 B

bumblebee

They all use different PCB layouts so if you wana be correct (like I would LOL) it wont do. But you can build any muff you like on it....

You could even adjust if for the small box black version if you wanted.

ringworm

Quote from: peps1 on February 24, 2010, 02:03:01 PM
ringworm, thats excellent! (do you happen to have a populated version?).

I never got round to it but I see bumblebee is on the case.
Nice one.

peps1

Quote from: bumblebee on February 25, 2010, 04:19:39 AM
They all use different PCB layouts so if you wana be correct (like I would LOL) it wont do.

The 4 i listed are remarkably close to the 7/c muff pcb, defiantly not the same but the tracers could be adjusted....just laid your PCB over them in photoshop and the scales are bang on (with the exception of the jack positioning) would just a small editing job to get the authentic layouts for the earlier Sovtecs. (will give it a go when yours is done)

bumblebee

Yeah I have to redo mine, that one I posted is no good. the jacks line up but the traces and are all out of wack in relation to the board size (95x95mm).

So I'll scale the traces to a photo of that PCB then once that;s done I'll fix the Jacks...again. This didnt even occur to me, I first adjusted the jacks and just overlooked confirming the scale of the traces.

In a 95x95mm PCB with this scale traces I posted there's way too much board left so it just shows how much I misjudged it.

I'll do it tonight anyways and post it tomorrow. Also a populated layout too.

I'm still not exactly sure what the problem is, either the traces are all out of proportion or its something I did. Anyways, i'll make it workable ... :icon_mrgreen:

I'll also finish my 77 IC layout and post all three layouts when I'm done.

I have been in the process of makeing one for the ramshead muff too, I have done a rough circuit trace,it just need cleaning up.

I like the idea of having "drop in replacements" of all these original layouts for the big muff. Everyone wants to go small all the time, but I like my pedals BIG like the cast sovteks and american muffs. I dont like MXR size pedal  much and always try to avoid using them, i like to use at least a 1590BB.

peps1

Quote from: bumblebee on February 25, 2010, 06:02:38 PM

I like the idea of having "drop in replacements" of all these original layouts for the big muff. Everyone wants to go small all the time, but I like my pedals BIG like the cast sovteks and american muffs. I dont like MXR size pedal  much and always try to avoid using them, i like to use at least a 1590BB.

Me too, and with the added element of all the people who like to make pedals with original era carbon composition resistors & transistors....giving them a authentic PCB can only be a good thing!

Good luck, and make it work ;)

bumblebee

I will! I'm a Big Muff fanatic, I live Big Muffs.  :icon_lol:

:icon_mrgreen:

peps1

Any update on a version 0f the scaled GREEN RUSSIAN VERSION 7?

Keen to etch some up  ;D

bumblebee

Sorry I havent finished one yet, I been busy. I' will get it doen unless someone beats me to it.

peps1

Reworked the old "TRIANGLE" BIG MUFF π - VERSION 1 1969-1973 that's been floating about.

Old

New

peps1

Reworked the old THE OP-AMP BIG MUFF π - VERSION 4 Circa 1978 (EH3003B)

Old

New