Tips for building a Maestro FZ-1 (3v) with NOS 2N270 transistors

Started by Laservampire, February 25, 2010, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laservampire

Hi, newbie here!

I recently bought 6 NOS RCA 2N270 transistors to build a Maestro FZ-1 fuzz and I was just hoping to get some tips or tricks on the whole process.

Here's the schematic I'm using (thanks to user smnm here):

Would the type of caps I use make much difference?

I still need to buy a footswitch too.

Thanks for any help you can provide guys!

Ben

dthurstan

Hey

here is a discussion on different cap types
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76316.msg623764

I bought a packs of ceramic & electrolytic caps and thats what I use for all my effects. I don't think it matters to much. I'd biult it with what you have, you can always put different ones in late. You may not notice a difference.

As for the switch, I'd use a 3PDT switch, for true bypass with an LED. What are you powering it with, 2 AA batteries?

Hope this helps.

Scruffie

Cap choice has been going on for a long time and is still going on... unless you're actually gunna pick specific caps measured to the correct capacitance then the tollerance in value is probably going to make the most difference... but some caps sure do look nicer  ;)

And once again, Carbon comp resistors may look nicer, but they aren't gunna do anything for your tone other than add noise, save them for tube amps.

Other than that, all good.

Laservampire

Thanks for the info guys!

I got the 2N270's in the mail yesterday and put them into my breadboard with whatever bits I had laying about, and it sounds great! All I needed to do was put the highest gain transistor in Q2 and it worked a treat, as there was a fair bit of 'ramping up' with a lower gain transistor. Just gotta make a case now!

arnqvist

I have this pedal breadboarded right now and got some NOS 2n270s as well..
What I'm wondering about is how it's supposed to be biased.. When I have the attack/fuzz pot from halfway and up it sounds good but from halfway and down you really need to start hitting the strings very hard to get sound..
I have 6 2n270s and tried everyone in all positions and to minimize the underbias the highest gain/leakage goes in Q2 as you wrote.
How does your work in relative to the fuzzpot? And how does your 2n270 measure?
Or if anyone has an original..?

Thanks!
/Petter

Dingus

Would either of gents be willing to sell me (I live in VA, 20191) one of your extra 2N270's? I bought 2 of them, and need a 3rd for this circuit. I'd give you $10 + shipping for one, thanks!

Renegadrian

I'd like to know what trannies can I use to sub those 2n270, they're not so easy to find (hell, ebay has some but they're not cheap...) - any advice!?
May be I'll try my 3 ac150 I've got...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Dingus

I sucked it up and bought those expensive ones off eBay since I hadn't seen any even on eBay before.

We know that Gibson (in it's 90s reissue) used 2N2613, and I think later issue FZ-1As used 2N2613s as well. Not that I think those are a ton easier to come by.

Toney

You  can get this firing with any of the usual germanium suspects.
In this circuit, leakage is good, it actually helps with this bias especially for Q2/3. If your trannies are not leaking enough, you may need to tickle the resistor values. I used a pot to turn on/tune in Q3 with some low-leakage AC 128s.

Laino91

What kind of transistors can you use if you don't have the 2n270's? Is there like an update version of it?
Jonas