The Problem Box (Bazz Fuzz)

Started by Adji, February 27, 2010, 02:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adji

I just had an idea and for some reason can't find the answer. Have I been a total idiot and wired the LED backwards?

I followed the diagram at GaussMarkov http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/thoughts/wiring-up-a-1590b/ for true-bypass wiring, but I might have wired the LED the wrong way round. Should the positive leg of the LED be connected to the resistor, or the power jack?

Adji

Yep, like an absolute idiot I wired the LED the wrong way around what a fool!!!

In this way then can someone please explain to me why does the resistor come AFTER the current has flowed through the LED. I thought the resistor dictated LED brightness?

maarten

The led has no say in it; if the resistor is the dictator, the led is like you and me - we simply have to do what we are told to do by our authorities; the relative position does not matter.
Maarten

Adji

Quote from: maarten on February 27, 2010, 06:28:43 PM
The led has no say in it; if the resistor is the dictator, the led is like you and me - we simply have to do what we are told to do by our authorities; the relative position does not matter.
Maarten
Interesting, it is strange how the current passes through the LED, and is THEN restricted by the resistor, yet the LED is controlled by the resistor. Can't grasp how this works lol, it would make sense if the resistor came before the LED.

maarten

Led and resistor both together form the path the current has to go (from i.e. +9 volts to ground); the current can not flow any faster or slower into the led than the resistor allows the current to flow from the led to the ground.
Maarten

PRR

> make sense if the resistor came before

Start your car. Jam a rag in the tailpipe. The engine stalls.

Re-start your car. Jam a rag in the air cleaner. The engine stalls.

I'm near a tourist island. We hope for 4 million visitors this summer. But the road and bridge is narrow and potholed. If they don't fix it before tourist season, the cars will stack-up all the way back to the interstate. Maybe only 2 million get through. It does not matter if the potholes are on the IN lane or the OUT lane: we can't store 4 million cars on the island, all the cars which come in must go out again.

In a simple series circuit, a "choke" any place along the route affects flow ALL along the route.
  • SUPPORTER

Adji

Quote from: PRR on February 28, 2010, 11:04:39 PM
> make sense if the resistor came before

Start your car. Jam a rag in the tailpipe. The engine stalls.

Re-start your car. Jam a rag in the air cleaner. The engine stalls.

I'm near a tourist island. We hope for 4 million visitors this summer. But the road and bridge is narrow and potholed. If they don't fix it before tourist season, the cars will stack-up all the way back to the interstate. Maybe only 2 million get through. It does not matter if the potholes are on the IN lane or the OUT lane: we can't store 4 million cars on the island, all the cars which come in must go out again.

In a simple series circuit, a "choke" any place along the route affects flow ALL along the route.

Ah right, cheers man. Thanks for putting it in 'laymans' terms, appreciated mate.