Help with TS-9 Reissue!

Started by stratomaster15, February 28, 2010, 12:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratomaster15

Hi, I have an Ibanez TS-9 reissue pedal that sounds... Not too hot with my Blues Jr. I was wondering if anybody knows the mods to make it smoother like a TS-808 because I can't find anything about it anywhere! ???
Thanks guys!

Philippe

"Conversion to TS808 - this seems to be a perennial hot one. Simple... just locate the 470 ohm and 100k resistors on the output buffer transistor, tracing back from the output jack, and replace them with a 100 ohm and a 10K. Bang, instant 808."
Source:
www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm

This article by R. Keen covers roughly 99.99% of all you'll ever need to know about a Tubesreamer circuit.

BAARON

Yeah.  The differences between the 808 and the 9 are minimal.  Have you ABed them to see if it's really the 808 that you want?  Because when I finally got my hands on a real 808, I discovered that it sounded kinda, um, not good.

...which is to say that it did not sound the way I expected it to.  It turned out that a lot of the TS sound I was used to hearing was also the amps and guitars that it's commonly paired with.
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

stratomaster15

Thanks for the info Philippe! Really helpful! And I haven't tested the TS-9 and 808 side by side, but all I know is that the reissue TS-9 I have sounds BAD. Just... Awful. So it's got to be an improvement, right? If not, I can just sell it as a modded TS-9 to somebody who likes it... It's even got a white LED, bonus! Then get that OCD I wanted...
Thanks again guys! ;D

BAARON

Download the GGG Tubescreamer mod PDF for some common ideas on what you can do with it.  The board layout won't be the same, but you can do a LOT with the TS circuit to improve it.  http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_its8_mods.pdf
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."