Tightening Plastic DC Jacks

Started by sixstringphil, March 01, 2010, 08:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixstringphil

How do you guys get your plastic DC jacks tight? They are the only thing I have problems with coming loose. I can't seem to get a good enough grip on the jack while I turn the nut. Any tips for that?

joegagan

which type are you talking about?

internal or external nut?
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

bumblebee

I just use my fingers, seems to be tight enough. If you use a tool they can crack if you over do it.

Finger tight is right IMO.

StereoKills

I usually finger tighten them and then gently use a small wrench to finish it while pressing hard on the other end, let friction do the work for you!
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

Paul Marossy

I use a crescent wrench for the type with an external metal nut or a 9/16" box end wrench for the type with an internal plastic nut.

petemoore

Glue, some fine stuff.
Clothespins on jacknut, jackbody pinned with a precision-angle cut popsicle stick, glue inundating all possible surfaces within the glue span area, and not outside it is the tricky part.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: petemoore on March 01, 2010, 09:24:06 PM
Glue, some fine stuff.
Clothespins on jacknut, jackbody pinned with a precision-angle cut popsicle stick, glue inundating all possible surfaces within the glue span area, and not outside it is the tricky part.

Huh?  ???

John Lyons

Quote from: StereoKills on March 01, 2010, 08:44:30 PM
I usually finger tighten them and then gently use a small wrench to finish it while pressing hard on the other end, let friction do the work for you!

+1
I use a socket but just finger tight.
I press my thumb on the outside to keep it from
rotating until it gets friction tight.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/