10 thousandth fuzz circuit. Superfluous, yet interesting...

Started by brett, March 03, 2010, 05:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

akc1973

Builds: Bazz Fuss, Orange Squeezer, Omega, Green Ringer, Dist+, X-Fuzz

Derringer

and I was just thinking yesterday ... man, haven't seen anything piggy-back related in a while

looks cool

clips?

Tonemonger

brett

Apparently, everyone thought I was serious when I say "superfluous".

Look closely - it has a "super FuzzFace" front end, with variable piggybacked gain and pickup loading.
But that's not all.  There's a differential pair for extra cool fuzziness.  This has a widely variable gain for mild to wild fuzz.
Anyone wanna build and post a clip?
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

soggybag

And it could be built from a 3086 or 3046 for extra mojo mystery.

I might have to give it a try. I was just in the middle of trying to make a BMP from a 3086. The chip contains 5 matched NPN transistors two are tied at the emitter to form a differential pair.

soggybag

What's up with Q1, is the collector unconnected? Is this acting as sort of a clipping diode?

BoxOfSnoo

Quote from: soggybag on April 20, 2010, 10:17:00 AM
What's up with Q1, is the collector unconnected? Is this acting as sort of a clipping diode?

That's what's called piggybacking.  Check this out here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=17513.20
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it

brett

Hi
An odd thing about piggybacking is that back in the day we would use a fixed resistor between the emitters, so the gain and input impedance were fixed.  Given the variation between people, guitars, etc that doesn't make too much sense when I think about it now. 
This circuit implements a "Piggyness" control.  Low pig = higher gain, high input impedance, no "bloom", plenty of highs.  Lots of piggyness and you get that germanium fuzz-face sound with bloom and high-end roll-off. 
The tone and pig controls might be worth considering as a circuit on its own (it *might* sound a bit like a Rangemaster?).
cheers
Brett Robinson

Brymus

That does look really cool.
It hasnt been tested yet ?
Do you recomend all 3904s or just two 3904s for the piggy back and higher gains for the rest ?
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

brett

The differential pair is similar to a circuit I built a couple of years ago and liked a lot.
There is also a "standard" schematic for a differential distortion on the web, and many people say it's ok.

Piggybacking was popular and successful, but has been mostly replaced by low gain Si transistors (especially the 2N2369A made popular in the Axis Face).  My feeling is that even lower gain devices (especially power devices) can sound good in some circuits (FuzzFace, Bosstone, FuzzRite).  Variable piggybacking may offer the best of both worlds.   

The whole thing is untested except with SPICE simulations. (Since I designed it I've moved house and I still don't have my shed sorted.)

The 2N3904s are mentioned because they are low noise and very easy to get.  None of the specs are critical and most small signal trannies will be indistinguishable: 2N5088, 2N5089, MPSA18, PN100, 2N2222A, BC549C, ....
cheers
Brett Robinson

joegagan

i have been staring at your schem for the last few days. very intriguing. will try it out when i get the chance. i always liked piggybacks, the piggyness control looks very crafty and good to me.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.