Son of Big Muff?

Started by giantsteps, March 03, 2010, 05:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsteps

I've been toying with the idea of stripping a Big Muff down to a 2 transistor circuit with one doing the clipping and the other a recovery. Any ideas while I'm breadboarding? Haven't really gotten a muffy sound yet but I'm still tweaking...

Chris

Solidhex

Is there a tone section? I'd ditch it and dedicate both stages to clipping. You definitely won't get a similar amount of clipping from one stage as you would 3.

--Brad

oliphaunt

Also keep in mind in the full Muff the first clipping stage is being hit by a big boost, creating much more clipping than you get with the staright guitar signal.

I built a couple of Muffs recently and went through it stage by stage o my breadboard.  Over all I thought each stage individually sounded pretty bad, it wasn't until the whole package came together that I found some decent tone.

Heemis

Most recent Muff I built is by far my favorite.  Still 4 transistors, but I completely removed the tone section.  Also in the second clipping stage I used 1 silicon diode and one germanium.  I had been playing my modded muff with those options selected for a year and finally decided to just build one that way... I'll never go back!