Ratio for mixing powdered FeCl3

Started by StereoKills, March 04, 2010, 08:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StereoKills

I have googled extensively, but haven't found anything definitive. I've seen 2:1 by weight, 1:1 by volume, and several more variations of this. I realize that it may need to be tweaked a bit, but I would like to find a solid starting point. I have a pound of FeCl3 powder that is begging to etch some boards and enclosures and I'm hoping to let it do just that this weekend.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

jimbeaux

This is the product I use & it says to slowly pour the contents (1/4 lb.) in 16 oz. of warm water to make 1 pint of etchant. (anhydrous ferric chloride)

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ER-3/DRY-CONCENTRATED-ETCHANT/-/1.html

StereoKills

So that's a 1:4 ratio of powder to water. I guess I'll start there and see how it goes. How quick do your boards etch in that concentration?

jimbeaux

About 7-10 minutes when the etchant it fresh.

Usually I put the etchant & board in a sealed heavy duty Ziploc bag & immerse that in a shallow plastic tub of warm water (not hot) copper side down & rock it back & forth - that speeds things up quite a bit.

I also wear latex gloves (like the ones they sell for staining wood) - keeps the ferric from staining your fingers brown.

Safety Note: do the initial mixing in a well ventilated area (outside) & pour the ferric into the water very slowly - giving it time to mix - there will be fumes.

StereoKills

I have a bunch of nitrile gloves to wear and I'll be mixing it at work, since we have a lab with a fume hood available to use. I'll make sure to take the initial mixing slow anyway.

EARNEST

Hi, i've got a similar question, however I have a "wet" FeCl3 (paste-like). What are the proportions? Thanks
Dean Razorback V255 w/EMG 81/85 @18V -> Bugera 6262-212
---
DIY projects:
TS clone, in progress http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78871.0