stutter/hold Pedal

Started by dustfilledhobo, March 07, 2010, 01:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustfilledhobo

I was wondering how to make a "hold" or "stutter" pedal?

The effect I am trying to produce can be found on Melt Banana's song "Lost Parsts Stinging Me So Cold" starting at about 1:09.

I did some research and found that the guitar player uses a Boss digital delay (I'm not sure which version) and uses the hold setting.

I don't need all of the other functions of the pedal, so if I could simply make a hold pedal that would be better than buying the entire pedal.

Any idea of how I could do this?  Thanks in advance.

Dusty

danielzink

Burst box ?

Just kidding..........

birt

http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

dustfilledhobo

Quote from: birt on March 07, 2010, 01:42:38 PM
i guess this would do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycOq3SOWiyE

Thanks for the post, this is what I'm looking for, but I was hoping to learn how to make one myself.  Does anyone have any ideas on how this is done?

Also (unrelated to the original post), how does anyone know how to make you guitar sound like it is playing backwards (long attack, short decay).  Thanks again.

Dusty

danielzink

Quote from: dustfilledhobo on March 07, 2010, 01:50:54 PM
Quote from: birt on March 07, 2010, 01:42:38 PM
i guess this would do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycOq3SOWiyE

Thanks for the post, this is what I'm looking for, but I was hoping to learn how to make one myself.  Does anyone have any ideas on how this is done?

Also (unrelated to the original post), how does anyone know how to make you guitar sound like it is playing backwards (long attack, short decay).  Thanks again.

Dusty

On a serious note.

Danelectro Back Talk which is a reverse delay pedal - also Digitech DL-6.
I'm sure there's a few others. As far as DIY - none that I've seen yet.

Dan

a soBer Newt

could you achieve some thing similar by using a simple voice recorder  some thing like http://www.getlofi.com/?p=973

alex frias

You can use something like a BOSS Slow Gear reissued by Behringer. or preferably a clone of it, but nothing will sound like a real backwards echo like the Dano Back Talk or Wasabi Reverse Delay, Line6 DL-6 or Echo Park (or the "similar" Behringer Echo Machine), Boss DD-6 or DD-7. There are others with reverse delay, but those are the ones I remember right now.

For the "hold" effect with pitch shifting, some digital delay with hold function and real time delay time change capability will o I think... Maybe one limitation would be that you can not turnoff the original sound when "hold" function is activated, as the TeaSpoon pedal on the vid.
Pagan and happy!

Processaurus

Quote from: dustfilledhobo on March 07, 2010, 01:50:54 PM

Thanks for the post, this is what I'm looking for, but I was hoping to learn how to make one myself. 

There is a mod for the DD-3 to get shorter hold times.  But it is just a mod.  What the hold thing does in that instance is the DD2/DD3 is a digital delay pedal much like an analog delay (analog dry signal, analog regeneration path), except you can make it stop writing into the buffer, and have it play what is trapped in there indefinitely, to get the cd skip sound.  I believe the infamous digitech PDS series (the 8000 and multi-play are great!) did that as well.

Designing a specialized digital delay from scratch just to save $100 doesn't really make much sense, as that's what you can get a real used DD-6 (what Agata uses for that sound) for.

RonaldB

cloudscapes

simplest way is probably by playing around with a pt2399 (100% feedback, no dry signal) untill you get the perfect balance between clean-ish repeats and number of repeats.

using a microcontroller liek i nthat link RonaldB posted is probably the second easiest way. though "easy" is relative. there's no truly simple way when it comes to "memorizing" input and playing it back repeatedly. unless you're using the 2399 or one of the ISD voice recorder chips, you'll surely have to use a microcontroller or some tricky bit shift chips and some parallel RAM.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

alex frias

I don't think PT2399 is a good choice for this job...
Pagan and happy!

nordine

Quote from: dustfilledhobo on March 07, 2010, 01:12:43 PM
I was wondering how to make a "hold" or "stutter" pedal?

The effect I am trying to produce can be found on Melt Banana's song "Lost Parsts Stinging Me So Cold" starting at about 1:09.

I did some research and found that the guitar player uses a Boss digital delay (I'm not sure which version) and uses the hold setting.

I don't need all of the other functions of the pedal, so if I could simply make a hold pedal that would be better than buying the entire pedal.

Any idea of how I could do this?  Thanks in advance.

Dusty

yeah delays can do that, i think behringer digital delay has hold function on about 1sec, more than enough, and cheap ...and... Melt banana are so badass man , i just posted to state that  ;D