Soldering Irons, quick question

Started by walker, March 08, 2010, 08:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walker

So I have a cheapo Radioshack Iron, with no on off switch.   Sometimes I'll unplug it, thinking I'm done with a project, but something is wrong and I plug it back in.  Then unplug, replug.  etc    Is this bad for the iron?  is it better to just leave it on for extended periods of time? 

Also, the opposite question.  Today I accidentally left it on for a few hours.  How bad is that for it?  Other then the damage to my electric bill.  ;)

brett

Hi
these irons get damaged more from use (heat/corrosion/etc) than switching on and off.
So turn it off, even if you will use it again in 10 minutes.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

shadowmaster

Better use a power plug that has a switch. This does not offer any advantage but it's much safer to use the switch to turn on/off your soldering iron rather than frequently plugging/unplugging to turn it on/off.

I've been using the same ordinary soldering iron for seven years now. Apart from changing the soldering tip, I have not done anything special to make it last that long. And mind you, I have already left it once plugged overnight.

PRR

> I've been using the same ordinary soldering iron for seven years now.

Mine are from the early 1970s.

Both have been on 8 hours a day for months, and overnight too many times to count.

I glue-repaired the cork handle on one. The other developed a bad plug, so I extended the cord and used a heavy-duty wall-plug. I have changed heaters (these are modular irons) but I think I have only ever seen one failed heater. Copper tips were consumable items; I've used the same iron tips since the early 1990s or so.

> a cheapo Radioshack Iron

AFAIK, all current RS irons are crap. Burning-out is the best thing can happen to them; it gives you reason to buy a GOOD iron which will work better.
  • SUPPORTER

walker

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not too worried about my RS iron, I think it was $8.99.  I'd just like to do what I can to make it last.  I can barely afford parts to solder, much less a good iron. 

Brymus

The last super cheap iron I bought came from Ace hardware IIRC it was 7$, and had solder and a stand(more of a little thing to prop it on) with it.
The (almost exact )one at my RS was 12$ no solder no stand.
I just bought a cheap solder station for 25$ ,like you I needed money for other stuff,if it lasts a year I will consider it a good deal.
Next year I will get a good one that heats up fast and costs quite a bit more,and hopefully will be the last one I buy.
I have gone through 2 cheap irons since I started DIY electronics,just over 2 years ago.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience