Tonebender Mark II Si/Ger switchable?

Started by philbinator1, March 09, 2010, 06:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbinator1

Hey guys, just wondering if it is possible to have a Solasound tonebender mk II pro that's switchable between Silicon and Germanium?
How cool would that be!  Or would the NPN/PNP thing get in the way?  if such a thing existed on vero, that would certainly Rock the Party
ay what?
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf

Brymus

I recently put Ge NPNs in my Si TBMK II Pro pedal and it works just fine,sounded really good too.
I think switchable would be more trouble than its worth though IMO,just build two > one GE and one Si and use an A/B box to compare them.
I will be recording some clips to compare the Si and Ge Tonebenders hopefully sometime this week,for a blind comparison by the forum.
Bryan
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

philbinator1

Quote from: Brymus on March 09, 2010, 04:01:50 PM
I recently put Ge NPNs in my Si TBMK II Pro pedal and it works just fine,sounded really good too.
I think switchable would be more trouble than its worth though IMO,just build two > one GE and one Si and use an A/B box to compare them.
I will be recording some clips to compare the Si and Ge Tonebenders hopefully sometime this week,for a blind comparison by the forum.
Bryan

Funny i thought people would have loved this idea!  1 reply!  :)   i want to do it in the future...similar to what you said Bryan, except put
both 'benders in one box and either have independant footswitches or have on/off switch and Ge/Si switch.  that'd be doable right?

anyways lookin foward to you shootout mate   :icon_smile:
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf

Jarno

Well, think of how many things you have to exchange, at least two legs of each transistor including the biasing resistors, that's a lot of poles! Now think of how easy it is to make two instead of one pcb, plonk in some components and solder them, it's a no brainer (IMHO anyways) :-)
You could put stereo pots in there and just use one deck for the Si and the other deck for the Ge Tonebender, you could probably fit it in a BB, add an extra footswitch for Si/Ge. the drawback is that you can't have two settings, of course.