"Older" Crybaby 535-Q Mod info. Looking to True Bypass

Started by Jamforthelamb, March 09, 2010, 03:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamforthelamb

Hello All,

I had started a thread a ways back that I wanted to do some modifications to my 535-Q. Mine is the older version, so it doesn't have the board mounted small pot labeled "Q Variance". It has the volume boost, and rotary switch. I tried removing the 33k resistor that I found in parallel with the inductor a replacing it with a pot, but it really doesn't do anything. All it will do is "turn down" the wah effect until it's completely gone, and is just the un-effected guitar sound. I'm wondering if the rotary on mine actually changes out different resistors to change the Q rather then different caps like most seem to think becaues the rotary honestly has more of the sound of what most people describe a "Q pot" having, moving it from a "Wah" to a "Woh" like sound. I'm wondering if I need to look in to doing the cap mod instead.

I also was wanting to true bypass this pedal. It's bypass switch is mounted to a small circuit board, and looks to be a spdt. I've seen some articles online about bypassing dunlop wahs, but mine doesn't look anything like the ones pictured. It has TL072 IC's rather then transistors handling it's buffering. Little help?

Thanks!
jftl

Jamforthelamb

zombiwoof

What value pot did you replace it with?  Older wahs had up to a 100k in that position, so you'd need to use a pot at least that big. 

Al

Jamforthelamb

I used a 100k linear pot. I'm going to try and take some gut shots when I have some time, and see if I can confirm the fact that the rotary on mine actually changes the q resistor rather then the range cap. If it does then I think I will take out the pot that I've added, and put in a cap rotary switch instead. It also has a 100k Hot Potz in there that I think I would like to change to a 470k one because the sweep seems to be a bit to quick for me.

-jftl

DiscoVlad

Changing for a 470k pot will lower the sweep range. i.e. make it more of a bass wah.

zombiwoof

Are you sure you put the pot in place of the 33K resistor?  I don't think you should be getting that result with the pot.  It should affect the quality of the "wah" sound, not act like a level control.  Seems odd.

Al

philbinator1

Quote from: Jamforthelamb on March 09, 2010, 03:55:11 PM
Hello All,

I had started a thread a ways back that I wanted to do some modifications to my 535-Q. Mine is the older version, so it doesn't have the board mounted small pot labeled "Q Variance". It has the volume boost, and rotary switch. I tried removing the 33k resistor that I found in parallel with the inductor a replacing it with a pot, but it really doesn't do anything. All it will do is "turn down" the wah effect until it's completely gone, and is just the un-effected guitar sound. I'm wondering if the rotary on mine actually changes out different resistors to change the Q rather then different caps like most seem to think becaues the rotary honestly has more of the sound of what most people describe a "Q pot" having, moving it from a "Wah" to a "Woh" like sound. I'm wondering if I need to look in to doing the cap mod instead.

I also was wanting to true bypass this pedal. It's bypass switch is mounted to a small circuit board, and looks to be a spdt. I've seen some articles online about bypassing dunlop wahs, but mine doesn't look anything like the ones pictured. It has TL072 IC's rather then transistors handling it's buffering. Little help?

Thanks!
jftl

Hi, sounds silly but are you sure you have a 535Q?  I have a wah that sounds similar to yours, except it's chrome all over, has the 'boost' button (and the boost vol underneath), and also has a 4 way rotary switch (as opposed to the 6 way rotary that the later 535 'Q' has).  anyway i'm looking to TB mine too but can't make heads or tails of the insides (has diff. pcb for switch and rotary too).
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf