Source for triple-gang potentiometers?

Started by Nitefly182, March 12, 2010, 08:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitefly182

Im working on a project with multiple circuits in one enclosure and I need some triple gang pots. Anyone know of a good place to find them? I presume if there is they will be pretty expensive but since I only need two it wont be much of a problem.

SonicVI

If you don't mind the hassle I can get you a couple of these from a local surplus shop for a few bucks each. They're 25K I think, but you can take them apart and replace the wafers with any current CTS values.

Nitefly182

I wonder how tough it would be to get into each gang and replace the wafer without damaging the whole thing? Have you tried it?

Nitefly182

Actually if Im switching dirt circuits in a box I really only need one triple gang pot for the gain controls. My switch between circuits will just take its output selection from the output of the boards which will then be routed to a single gang volume control. Luckily I just found some 1k triple gang surplus pots for the relatively low price of $6 each.

joegagan

i can custom make you a triple gang omeg ( or quad, quint, sexgang for that matter = oops i said sexgang)

you can have any combo based on the following 22k linear, 100k log, 220k log, 470k log.

each triple would be 10.00 each, plus shipping. or i would trade for 3pdts, switchcraft style open metal  1/4 jacks, stereo and mono.

the inside depth needed is less than a 24mm alpha, the triple stacks out to less than 1-3/8"

1/4" shaft

the pots are NOS from 2002. here is what they look like in dualgang form:

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Taylor

That's a cool service, Joe. Some time ago I was doing a circuit where I needed a 5-gang pot - the people I found to make them were charging around $100 each. Don't need it anymore, but it's cool to know you do that for the future.

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Nitefly182

Quote from: joegagan on March 12, 2010, 10:15:15 PM
i can custom make you a triple gang omeg ( or quad, quint, sexgang for that matter = oops i said sexgang)

you can have any combo based on the following 22k linear, 100k log, 220k log, 470k log.

each triple would be 10.00 each, plus shipping. or i would trade for 3pdts, switchcraft style open metal  1/4 jacks, stereo and mono.

the inside depth needed is less than a 24mm alpha, the triple stacks out to less than 1-3/8"

1/4" shaft

the pots are NOS from 2002. here is what they look like in dualgang form:

At some point I will take you up on this offer. I realized after thinking about what I want to do that I only need a pair of dual gang controls but a more elaborate rotary switch to do the heavy lifting. Im only using two circuits this time but I will have four total fuzz tones coming from that pair of circuits. Down the road Im definitely planning something that has three circuits which would need the triple gang controls. Its awesome that you can make those custom!

SonicVI

Quote from: Nitefly182 on March 12, 2010, 10:03:01 PM
I wonder how tough it would be to get into each gang and replace the wafer without damaging the whole thing? Have you tried it?

Yeah, I have done it. It's just like taking the back off a single pot by bending the tabs, but three times.   One of the old wafers broke in the process but new wafers will be stronger.