Tinning wires - It's a good idea.

Started by akc1973, March 15, 2010, 07:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akc1973

For ages, I've thought I could get away without tinning wires before soldering to stripboard or PCB. I tried it on the current thing I'm working on and things are sooooo much easier. If you don't do it, try it!  :)
Builds: Bazz Fuss, Orange Squeezer, Omega, Green Ringer, Dist+, X-Fuzz

joegagan

ditto. makes for a nice clean build. one extra bonus is, you spend less time on the actual soldering to the part, so your insulation does not get scorched looking.

even for small builds, you can save time by mass assembly of your pre-tinning. strip a dozen or so wires at once, lay them out in a line( let the stripped ends hang off a ledge) weigh them down (large crescent wrench works well) to get them to hold still, tin a dozen or more in one pass.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

akc1973

Quote from: joegagan on March 15, 2010, 08:05:47 PM
ditto. makes for a nice clean build. one extra bonus is, you spend less time on the actual soldering to the part, so your insulation does not get scorched looking.

even for small builds, you can save time by mass assembly of your pre-tinning. strip a dozen or so wires at once, lay them out in a line( let the stripped ends hang off a ledge) weigh them down (large crescent wrench works well) to get them to hold still, tin a dozen or more in one pass.

The wrench idea is a good one...will have to try that too!
Builds: Bazz Fuss, Orange Squeezer, Omega, Green Ringer, Dist+, X-Fuzz