TB Loop Box with Wah Buffer

Started by zombiwoof, March 19, 2010, 11:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

I have 3 wahs, and one of them has been true-bypassed, the other two still have the stock switches.  In order to have them work before a fuzz, I can add a wah output buffer to each.  Another option is to put a buffer after the wah and place them both in the loop of a loop box.  In order to eliminate one pedal (dedicated buffer), I had a thought.  I could make a true bypass loop box with an LED, and put a wah buffer (either the Fuzz Central one or Jack Orman's wah buffer) in the box that would be active only when the loop is selected.  Here's a link to the GGG loop box layout (pdf):

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_sw_loop_lo.pdf?phpMyAdmin=4a28f86a515b7883e7bc35a68d4e7b6d

I'm thinking I could just wire the buffer in and out in place of the blue wire that runs from the loop in to the switch, and hook the buffer +9v and ground to their respective places.  Is this correct?  Run the buffer ground to the ground on a jack?  What about the +9v, would I hook it to the 9v connection on the DC jack?

The buffer would be active when the loop with the wah in it is active, when the loop is bypassed the signal is sent straight through with no buffer so that the buffer wouldn't mess up the fuzz when used by itself.

This box would be beneficial for these reasons:

1.  Since the wah would be left on all the time, and switched in and out with the loop box, I could use it with any wah, without TB'ing each one.  You could use a vintage wah and leave it stock, and still have it true bypassed in the chain of pedals.

2.  I wouldn't have to put a buffer in each wah to have it work in front of a fuzz.

3.  I wouldn't have to have a separate buffer pedal to have the wah work in front of a fuzz.

4.  It would avoid the problem of the intermittent switching in wahs, and not knowing if it is on or not when I step on it.

I don't think I've ever seen this idea before, but maybe I'm wrong.

Do you guys see any problems I don't?

Thanks,
Al

slacker

That sounds like a good idea to me, should work fine.

The +9 connection to the buffer should be connected to the same lug on the DC jack as the LED resistor.

zombiwoof

Quote from: slacker on March 20, 2010, 10:18:10 AM
That sounds like a good idea to me, should work fine.

The +9 connection to the buffer should be connected to the same lug on the DC jack as the LED resistor.

Thanks, I would have probably connected it to the other lug on the jack!

This is the kind of info I need.  I've been thinking about his for a long time and it seemed like the perfect solution.

Al