Substituting pots

Started by Ell, March 23, 2010, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ell

I stopped buying parts for guitar pedals a while ago as I'm pretty happy with my pedal board on the set up I have it. However, I've decided to see if I can make any pedals out of all my left over components. I can almost make Howie's Metal Simplex, but I don't have 100k pots. What effect would it have on the sound if I used smaller or larger value pots for gain and volume (no tone)?

TL;DR: Layout wants 100k pots, I only have 50k's or 250k's, what to do.

zombiwoof

Quote from: Ell on March 23, 2010, 02:12:38 PM
I stopped buying parts for guitar pedals a while ago as I'm pretty happy with my pedal board on the set up I have it. However, I've decided to see if I can make any pedals out of all my left over components. I can almost make Howie's Metal Simplex, but I don't have 100k pots. What effect would it have on the sound if I used smaller or larger value pots for gain and volume (no tone)?

TL;DR: Layout wants 100k pots, I only have 50k's or 250k's, what to do.

You can turn a 250k pot into a 100k using a resistor across the lugs of the pot.  You just have to calculate what resistor will get 100k when used in parallel with 250k.

Al

alparent

slacker

A 250k for the gain might give a bit more gain than a 100k but it will work fine, a 50k would give less gain.
Either will work fine for the volume pot.