small speaker mounting delima

Started by Mr. G., March 25, 2010, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. G.

I got a few 3" speakers from Futurlec with the intent of making a mini half stack using a Ruby for the "head".  The problem is, the speakers don't have any mounting clips or holes.  Anybody got any idea of how to mount the speakers to the baffle?

The speakers are similar to the ones here:

BAARON

An Idea.

1. Trace the speaker onto the baffle board in its desired placement then remove the speaker to keep it free of debris.
2. Mark the hole for the speaker, remembering that it will be smaller than the basket so the speaker can sit against the baffle board rather than inside the hole.
3. Drill 6 pilot holes (for screws) around the outside perimeter of the basket tracing, so that the screws will be flush against the outside of the basket when they are installed.
4. Set the speaker in place.  Install six screws along with 5/8"-3/4" washers, so that the washers are on the rear side of the speaker and push it against the baffle board while the screws prevent the speaker from moving side to side.
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

Mr. G.

That's a pretty good idea!  Thanks!

FiveseveN

Yup, that would work but four or even three screws are plenty.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Mark Hammer

Two words:  glue gun.

If this was a 12" speaker with a 1lb magnet, I wouldn't dream of suggesting that.  For three reasons: the glue wouldn't hold the speaker up, the glue would damp the transmission of bass to the  baffle losing bass, and 12" speakers are the sort of thing people like to change when something better comes along.

Well, the glue is more than sufficient to hold those speakers (I know, it's what I've used), there is not bass to speak of that you might lose due to physical decoupling, and I strongly doubt that anything "better" will come along in the way of 3" speakers, and if it does you won't be fighting to keep that enclosure to recycle.

davidallancole

Not to hi-jack but how was your experience with Futurlec?

Mr. G.

Quote from: davidallancole on March 25, 2010, 09:12:08 PM
Not to hi-jack but how was your experience with Futurlec?

Typically unpredictable, lol.  Took about a bit over a month for this order.  I don't suggest getting anything from them if you're in a hurry.

davidallancole

PRR

You mold your case with a 3" round lip inside, 2 screws with washers or L-clips. That's how all transistor radios etc did it.

The other way is two 1" screws and a 4" piece of lath with holes 3.2" apart pressing against the back of the magnet.

I've done this with MUCH heavier horn-drivers, albeit with 5/16" lag-bolts and 2x4 brace.
  • SUPPORTER

Ronsonic

http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

solderman

Hi
Easy Q&D way
The easiest way I can think of is to drill a hole that is slightly smaller than basket and than use 3 screws with big washers to press the basket to the buffel.

Hard way 1
Drill 2-3 small holes in the basket

Even harder way
Drill a hole that is ~10mm smaller than the speaker. Rout a shelf in the buffel to sink the speaker down in and fixate it with some thing.
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

markeebee

+1 for solderman's quick way. Use some bent washers to clamp the speaker flange to the back of the baffle. Maybe dab some silicon on the screws to stop them working loose and/or rattling.

To be honest, I only replied to this post because I saw the opportunity to use the word "flange".

Mark Hammer

Quote from: markeebee on March 26, 2010, 04:52:03 AM
To be honest, I only replied to this post because I saw the opportunity to use the word "flange".
:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: