Perfboard Help

Started by Schappy, March 27, 2010, 10:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schappy

Im about to do my first perfboard build and was wondering how to setup the ground and power rails.

Do you use a strip of wire or do it all with the component leads?

doc_drop

Only use wire if you can't make the connections with the leads. It is 100 times easier to perf using the leads to run the connections as much as possible.

What I do is place the part. Verify it is in the right place and oriented correctly. Solder it in place. Then bend the leads where they need to go. I mark off the part on a schematic, and after I solder the connection, I mark those off too. It is best to go slow, and double/triple check as you go. I love perf, but it can be a mind bender to debug after you get it all together.

Another thing that helps is to print a reverse image of the layout so you don't have to visualize it backwards when you are looking at the back side of the board.

Have fun!

oldrocker

Before starting I select a side of the board where I'll put the grounds.  Then if applicable I'll select a small area for bias voltage connections.  I usually recreate the schematic with the components on the perf board as I'm soldering it together.  As stated above I'll leave the leads long so they'll reach where they need to go.  I bought some heavier gauge solid wire and strip the insulation off if I need to better connect grounds or whatever.

jdub

Nine times out of ten, I'll run the power rail on top and the ground on the bottom of the layout using PC bus wire from Radio Shack (one roll has lasted me 2 years so far, with plenty left), then solder component leads to these.  It's sometimes necessary to run an arm from either or both rails into the heart of the board using a separate piece of bus wire for components that can't easily reach the main rails.  This is just how I started doing it (probably cuz it reflects the arrangement of many schematics), and I've just adapted it as needed depending on the project.
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

frank_p

I toughted Stephen Giles had a topic about veroing tips, but I found this instead. 
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=34726.msg243251#msg243251

Perhaps will help...