1590/1790 manufacturer?

Started by JisforJustin, March 31, 2010, 01:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JisforJustin

I'm looking for a manufacturer of 1590/1790 boxes. Preferably one that can do it cheaper than Hammond, IE in Taiwan or China. Anybody know of the names of any of these type of companies. Websites/contact info would be extremely helpful, thanks!

imbuedblue

JisforJustin

Anyone have an idea what manufacturers companies like PedalPartsPlus or SmallBearElec use?

I'm looking to buy in bulk at wholesale prices.

Steve Mavronis

Newark Electronics has the real Hammond boxes in different finishes (aluminum metal, powder coated in black and gray too) with price discounts based on the quantity ordered. That's where I got my 1590B and 1590BBK but I only ordered one of each and their standard shipping was fast. You just have to setup an account with a pretend business name and they'll take your credit card!
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

jacobyjd

John Lyons sometimes buys bulk enclosures--those are the best I've ever worked with. Might be worth it to send him a PM :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

tiges_ tendres

For the most part the boxes on Small Bear and PPP are New Sensor boxes (Electro Harmonix).  If you try and buy directly from New Sensor, the cost will be almost three times the price! (unless you are a dealer)  These boxes for me just dont cut it.  The screws and threads are poor, and the castings can be very rough.

I have had awesome experiences with 4site Electronics. http://www.4siteelectronics.com  They dont have an online store, but if you email them and tell them what you want they'll send you a paypal transaction thingy.

Try a little tenderness.

amptramp

Hammond has recently realized that they are a big part of the stompbox business, so they have released the 1590BB in blue, green, gray, orange and red in addition to the normal black or bare aluminum finishes.  Check it out:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg_SBVer.htm

Nitefly182

How many is bulk to you? 100? Theyll laugh at you. If you aren't buying 5,000 boxes I doubt youll be able to get the prices any cheaper than the popular stompbox parts vendors.

smallbearelec

Quote from: JisforJustin on March 31, 2010, 01:07:00 PM
a manufacturer of 1590/1790 boxes...in Taiwan or China.

I figured some people might be interested in the practicalities of Import/Export 101.

If you fish, you can find companies in China that do cast enclosures. I know of at least one (because I order from them) that has the mold for a B and a BB and will sell to anyone who can give them a minimum order of 1,000 pieces. They went fishing for customers, so they found me rather than the other way around. One of those side-benefits/hazards of growth is that lots of people will start to offer you stuff and you get to choose whether you are interested. Until you get to that point, you have to look for them. The time you give to that is part of building your business, and the names of the vendors you buy from become part of the intellectual capital that gives value to your company.

But the economics gets tricky. Even if the maker will sell you a relatively small lot, you have to get the pieces from Kaoshiung, Ningbo, Wuhan, etc. to your door. Air freight is not feasible for heavy loads, so you need to work with a freight broker/consolidator who can book space for your stuff on a boat. They charge for a certain minimum space in the container whether you use it all or not, and there are Customs and handling fees that apply per shipment. You need to use as much of your space as possible to amortize the fixed costs, and this increases the minimum economical size of an order.

Some of the same companies I spoke of will either make a mold for you or get it done if they don't have their own tooling for the box you want. I went that route to get my version of the 125-B made, and it was the best investment I have made. But I was several years into this chaos before I had the capital, the contacts, and the ability to assume some risk to make it happen.

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on March 31, 2010, 03:16:13 PM
I have had awesome experiences with 4site Electronics.

They have a good clone of the Hammond DD that I will probably go for when I re-stock.

Regards
SD

chicago_mike

Theres also Greenstone
510-683-9328
Look exactly like Hammond cases.

I dont have a website for them though

JisforJustin

Quote from: chicago_mike on April 01, 2010, 07:50:03 AM
Theres also Greenstone
510-683-9328
Look exactly like Hammond cases.

I dont have a website for them though

http://www.greenstoneusa.com/

Is that the company you are referring to? I see where they offer vacuum tubes, but not seeing any enclosures.

chicago_mike

It might be, but the number on the box is different from the number on the site.

the 1590BB sized box is a 0107BB

zombiwoof

Quote from: amptramp on March 31, 2010, 07:50:52 PM
Hammond has recently realized that they are a big part of the stompbox business, so they have released the 1590BB in blue, green, gray, orange and red in addition to the normal black or bare aluminum finishes.  Check it out:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg_SBVer.htm

Not really a new thing, AES used to sell the Hammond boxes in colors like that years ago (I think they had to be specially ordered, though, they didn't keep stock except for the black ones).

Al