I started a project to built a tube emulator.... Any ideas?

Started by Angelo777, April 04, 2010, 07:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo777

Heyyyy everyone!!!  ;D

BACK AGAIN !!! hehe...

I started building a tube emulator.... I am thinking of using JFETs to emulate the tube sound... Any ideas or favorite tastes in tubes?? I am actually trying to make a galop-tastes_search-etc etc to find out what people think about tubes in general ... which tube sound you like and whats the positives and negatives of the tubes you like so that they can be used for preamp stages or even final amplification stages ;)

Ok enough said... :P

Cheers!
Angelo777

dschwartz

i dont think emulating tubes is just a matter of just using fets..it is waaaay more complex than that!!!
fets make excellet distortions and overdrives,but emulating tubes is another story. You have to investigate tubes behaviour and ways to replicate it using SS devices. fets are a nice option but they won´t give you "tube sound".. all these fet2tube circuits capture the frequency response of the amps being emulated, but they don´t have the dynamics of tubes.

if i were you, i would try to just make a great sounding preamp, and not a tube emulating device. triyng to emulate tubes will only make things more complex that needed for a good sound.

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Angelo777

QuoteInsert Quote
i dont think emulating tubes is just a matter of just using fets..it is waaaay more complex than that!!!
fets make excellet distortions and overdrives,but emulating tubes is another story. You have to investigate tubes behaviour and ways to replicate it using SS devices. fets are a nice option but they won´t give you "tube sound".. all these fet2tube circuits capture the frequency response of the amps being emulated, but they don´t have the dynamics of tubes.

if i were you, i would try to just make a great sounding preamp, and not a tube emulating device. triyng to emulate tubes will only make things more complex that needed for a good sound.

Hello,

First of all,
what do you mean by saying SS devices?

I could regulate fet-circuits so i can get 2nd,4rth,6th,8th,etc harmonics from the tube-emulating circuit which could add more depth in the sound and make it sound like a tube.

P.S. I checked the distortion-mod you did with the maximus distortus ... pretty impressive ;)

Best Regards,
Angelo777

Angelo777

Also, have you found any circuit that emulates a tube so i can take a closer look to how others tried to do it before me ?

Thanks a lot,
Angelo777

Angelo777