First time using a Cricut for labelling

Started by drdn0, February 16, 2024, 05:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drdn0

Cliffs: saw a guitar up for sale I was interested in. Asked the guy if he'd be interested in a trade, and he said the only thing he'd be interested in was an Aclam Mocker...so I built one.

I'm usually a stamped bare aluminium kinda guy, so figured for this one I'd try and finish an enclosure properly. Used a PedalPCB PCB including flush-mount I/O board too as they work really nicely.

I figured a Cricut would probably work alright for decals, and it absolutely did. No issues in applying the vinyl, and despite all the warnings the hammertone paint actually made for a WAY better surface than some of the other matte enclosures I did at the same time. After applying the vinyl I stuck it in a dehydrator at 45c for 15 minutes, then applied a bit more pressure to make sure the vinyl was fully adhered.

Quick squirt of clear coat over the top, and very happy with how it came out - but in all honesty, I should just figure out how Tayda UV printing works as I'm sure it would be much easier!

Pre-clear

After clear

Gut shot

GGBB

Looks fantastic! Forgive my ignorance - is the whole front a Cricut sticker (including transparent areas) or is it just the lettering? Is the gold colour the actual vinyl or is that some kind of ink/dye/paint on clear vinyl?

My sister-in-law does Cricut (non-pedal-related). I've never seen how it's done, but I've been thinking about asking her to do a pedal graphic for me.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Quote from: drdn0 on February 16, 2024, 05:45:05 PMI figured a Cricut

Letter to my father about making new gaskets for a 1915 racer engine. Gaskets is not the same as graphics but the machine is excellent and I'm sure it can draw too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMNJGhZjaIw

"You once taught me to make a gasket by tapping with a ball-peen hammer. Gaskets for 70 year old engines are scarce. A Cricut is a 2D pattern-program cutter for crafters, cloth, felt, cardboard.... and while not sold for the task, it can cut gasket material. See video.

Start of cut:  https://youtu.be/VVuYlaSBrns?t=1023  (17:03)
Finish of cut: https://youtu.be/VVuYlaSBrns?t=1045  (17:22)

There's a LOT of tutorials, YouTube search "cricut gasket".

Here is a better picture of the Cricut working. The CPU figures the vectors so the blade runs in the path of the cut. Chainsaw gaskets.

The Incredible GASKET MAKER your WIFE already knows about!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejUzvfGuY8
Showing pulling a pattern from a ragged scrap and tweaking it good.

The Cricut is $200-$400, but a lot of crafters have one and know how to program patterns. https://cricut.com/  "
  • SUPPORTER

drdn0

Quote from: GGBB on February 16, 2024, 08:45:20 PMLooks fantastic! Forgive my ignorance - is the whole front a Cricut sticker (including transparent areas) or is it just the lettering? Is the gold colour the actual vinyl or is that some kind of ink/dye/paint on clear vinyl?

My sister-in-law does Cricut (non-pedal-related). I've never seen how it's done, but I've been thinking about asking her to do a pedal graphic for me.

Basically, you feed it vector images and it traces the outline. Once it's done, you pull the excess vinyl off (weeding) and you're left with the decal - but it's the right way up (adhesive down). You use another vinyl called transfer vinyl to lift the vinyl off, apply the whole thing to the enclosure, then slowly peel the transfer vinyl off to be left with a decorated enclosure.

I was broadly familiar with the process because my uncle was an insanely busy signwriter/pinstriper, and I spent a few weeks working with him when I was younger. Even at a scale of 20-30' across, it's effectively the same process - just on a way bigger scale!

amptramp

There are some fine-grain sandblasters and I always thought a cricut could make vinyl shields for a sandblasted etched finish.  Unlike chemical etching, you have a lot of control over depth that way.  Want to go deeper with an etch?  Just sandblast a little longer.  Want bas-relief finishes?  Just use it like an air brush to put in detail by blasting some areas more than others.  This is a typical fine grit sandblast air brush:

amptramp

BTW, if you think an air brush sandblaster is a bit of an expense just for doing enclosure finishes, you can use the same thing to generate circuit boards.  Maybe not fine line surface mount stuff, but almost any through-hole design can be done with it.

rustypinto

Quote from: drdn0 on February 16, 2024, 05:45:05 PM
After clear

Lettering on hammertone is difficult, very nice job.

I tried it once with ceramic decals and laser printing, the result was so-so.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: drdn0 on February 16, 2024, 05:45:05 PM
That looks really stunning. And the Pedal PCB boards inside make for a very professional-looking job inside as well. Nice work! 8)

I hope you're pleased with the guitar, because I bet the guy is chuffed with the pedal!!

Phend

Laser cut gaskets of many shapes.
Vellumoid from 0.010 to 0.062 inch thick.
Nice, "rubber" yes, not nice, it stinks and makes a mess.
Mylar too.
Cuts very very fast.
Here are some for a Bulldozer, kinda like a Harley.

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

PRR

Quote from: amptramp on February 17, 2024, 11:39:12 AMair brush sandblaster is a bit of an expense
In the 1950s, S.S.White invented a precision air abrasion system. I didn't know, but they made dental equipment and made it to remove decay before fillings. It was not stellar in that job but they promoted it into all sorts of other industries. The company was sold and bought and split and mostly does other stuff, but the AirAbrasive unit is still around.

Here they do a tricky cut in an eggshell. From 1963.
https://www.hteabrasiveblast.com/Item/Index/Airbrasive
Used ones appear on eBay, this one at $500.

S.S.White also invented the speedometer cable everybody used for a century. And spent years developing the design rules for these things.
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

There used to be ads for AirAbrasive in Scientific American.  It seemed like a great idea.

PRR

Quote from: amptramp on February 18, 2024, 08:05:14 AMads for AirAbrasive in Scientific American
I think that is where I am getting them?
Here is the spectacular one: sliced lightbulb. Also hatches in an egg and a glass Christmas ornament.

• SUPPORTER

drdn0

Quote from: ElectricDruid on February 17, 2024, 02:10:59 PMThat looks really stunning. And the Pedal PCB boards inside make for a very professional-looking job inside as well. Nice work! 8)

I hope you're pleased with the guitar, because I bet the guy is chuffed with the pedal!!

Still waiting for him to pick it up - the fact he's repeatedly offered me money additionally is always a good sign haha.

I do like making my own PCB's and have made heaps, but I LOVE building from well thought out kits. Aion kits and PedalPCB boards are just phenomenal, even though the cost including shipping to Aus is so bad.

It's also really hard to photo, but I did a gloss on matte Obsidius (Darkglass B3K) build as a gift for a friend who helps us out with special needs events. He's been a bass player for almost his whole life, and up until a few months ago had never used a pedal - just ran a Thunderbird straight into an Ampeg head + 2x 4x12's. Brought it over to him yesterday and goddamn it sounded incredible.

I don't think it's as 'professional', but it's definitely my favourite build.