pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

SviS

www.svisound.com - handmade guitar pedals

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

vigilante397

I'm always more embarrassed to post in this thread than any other :P But this was a build I've been working on for an embarrassingly long time. It's a Marshall 1974X that I got as basically a kit without instructions. I bought the cabinet, chassis, transformers, and pre-assembled board from a guy on eBay, but he didn't have a layout for wiring so I looked at a bunch of schematics and layouts and figured it out all by myself ;D Unfortunately pre-assembled doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work right. But it fired up first try, and I was so excited at how good it sounded I didn't notice that my EL84's were red-plating until it was too late and one of them committed suicide. So I retraced it against the schematic and found that whoever built it made a couple boo-boos, and eventually got around to fixing it so we're at tube-friendly currents. And yes, I put the Marshall logo on there for the sake of my vanity  ::)

I know the lead dress is terrible, I'm trying to get better :-[ The thing still runs pretty quiet though 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

sdb guitars

I bought a Hammond L102 organ with a frozen tonewheel assembly a few years ago for $10. Repurposed the power amp and one of the Rola/Celestion speakers into a Matchless Spitfire clone. Reused the speaker grille cloth, too. Cabinet is made of pine and control cutout is made of popular, both from Lowes.

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on November 19, 2016, 02:57:18 AM

OK, so we'll say no more about the lead dress (who am I to judge?), but this is a very nice build, Nathan.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

tubelectron

Oh-oh, the competition for the smallest standalone guitar tube amp now becomes harder... I can't resist to post again the pics of my Radio-Tone  :icon_mrgreen: !

@thomasha : What model of Jensen speaker did you use in your small Meter Amp ? Is it the new 6.5" AlNiCo P6V ?

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

thomasha

Yep, it's the 6.5 Jensen P6V.

I wanted to go small, but still use a guitar speaker. The box could be smaller, but wouldn't fit the meter.

So far had no success in finding a smaller speaker that would sound good with tube amp crunch distortion.

tubelectron

Quote from: thomasha on November 19, 2016, 03:12:57 PM
Yep, it's the 6.5 Jensen P6V.

I wanted to go small, but still use a guitar speaker. The box could be smaller, but wouldn't fit the meter.

So far had no success in finding a smaller speaker that would sound good with tube amp crunch distortion.

OK, thanks thomasha.

Reading you, I think that I will use a P6V or C6V on my next (a bit less) compact release.

On my Radio-Tone, I used a 60s 5" or  5" 1/2 NOS AlNiCo automotive speaker from OakTron.

Here is the tone, using a Squier Std Strat and a touch of EH Cathedral reverb :

https://soundcloud.com/tubelectron/r05-0002-radiotone-squier-cathedral-bluesmp3

A+!

blackcorvo

Quote from: Granny Gremlin on September 21, 2015, 09:01:41 AM
Somehow forgot my latest creation: a Transmission Line loaded active boom box style portable speaker:
(...)
I used a PAM8610-based digital amp board, hacked it up a bit (flimsy jacks taken off board; added a battery cage etc) and made a flanged enclosure out of some sheet aluminum I had laying about.

Do you happen to have the plans for this cabinet? Also, how's the battery life with a 9v? I got a couple PAM8610's, thinking of making a powered cabinet for my Vox Amplug 2 AC30 using one of them, and something like your transmission line project might save me the need of using huge speakers for good bass response.
She/They as of August 2021

thomasha

Hi,
finished a small lunch box amp with the ECL86. Circuit is really simple, only one volume pot, working also as ON switch.

Outside the chassis>

and with everything inside>

This time with a proper PT!
Hope you like it!

tubelectron

QuoteHi,
finished a small lunch box amp with the ECL86. Circuit is really simple, only one volume pot, working also as ON switch.

Fine thomasha  ! Funny and clever idea... Looks like if it was the Tin Metal version of my Radio-Tone (which also uses an ECL86/6GW8).

What are the dimensions of that metal box ?
Which speaker did you use ?
Is it possible to have a picture of the open box, just to see how you managed to enter all the stuff inside ?

Thanks !

A+!

diydave

Firefly kinda amp, build from scratch. Ecc83 and a 12au7 push-pull in a 10'' combo.
8'' jenssen speaker

vigilante397

Quote from: diydave on April 21, 2017, 10:36:47 AM

Super clean build, inside and out. Love that color combo too, very classy 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

tubelectron

QuoteSuper clean build, inside and out. Love that color combo too, very classy 8)

Sure ! I was in the same color scheme some times ago too :

@diydave : did you use "Ivory White" and "Surf Green" Tolex or other references ? Where did you bought them ?

A+!

tca

Here's one class A mosfet with a car light bulb. The cab has a 5'' 1/4 speaker with a Kevlar cone.

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

allesz

A lot of beauties here.

tca you are an artist. Beside the amp and cab: looks like something from ikea with a name like... Kouvstokka mini  :icon_razz: But you managed also to show the front and the back of the amp wiyh a single click. Poetry.

tca

Thanks, and like all good poetry, a coup de chance.

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

thomasha

tubelectron it only has 18.5x12.5x7 cm,
but there is still some space>

cheers