Rate my new Project: MERKEN!!! (with video)

Started by richon, April 05, 2010, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richon

can't you identiffy the guitar I'm playing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcaAdFA6Sik

PS: it's a Fender Tweed Deluxe Clone (with alnicos speakers)  , a "NOT HIGH GAIN SETUP"  :icon_mrgreen:

PS2: its a 6 JFET stages distortion.
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

jkokura

No need to guess. You show us a telecaster at the end of the video...

Jacob

richon

the question was to let the visual impresions (of the guitar I use) away...  and listen at HOW IT CHANGES from clean Fender bluesy sound, to a high gain sound , even with a single-coil pickpup/guitar
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

Taylor

I like the look of your DIY amps/cabs.

It's interesting, because I believe "merken" in Chilean cooking is a spice mixture. In English the word "merkin" (which would be homophonic to "merken" in English, but not in Spanish) means a pubic wig.

Ronsonic

Quote from: richon on April 05, 2010, 05:02:49 PM
can't you identiffy the guitar I'm playing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcaAdFA6Sik

PS: it's a Fender Tweed Deluxe Clone (with alnicos speakers)  , a "NOT HIGH GAIN SETUP"  :icon_mrgreen:

PS2: its a 6 JFET stages distortion.

I guessed Tele, before seeing it in the description.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

richon

Quote from: Taylor on April 05, 2010, 11:40:08 PM

It's interesting, because I believe "merken" in Chilean cooking is a spice mixture. In English the word "merkin" (which would be homophonic to "merken" in English, but not in Spanish) means a pubic wig.

well now I know what MERKIN means ....   but anyway....  MERKEN is a mixture of AJI (red CHILE) and other spices. Very HOT, more than WASABI and CHILE alone.
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

Fuzz Aldryn

Hi,

funny enough, "merken" is a german verb which means "to memorize, to remember, to notice or to bookmark" and so on. :icon_lol:

Cheers
Helge

dschwartz

Quote from: richon on April 06, 2010, 02:43:19 AM
Quote from: Taylor on April 05, 2010, 11:40:08 PM

well now I know what MERKIN means ....   but anyway....  MERKEN is a mixture of AJI (red CHILE) and other spices. Very HOT, more than WASABI and CHILE alone.

jajajajaa.. mejor ponle "Merquén" y te los cagas..

Merken (or merquén) is a mix of smoked dried red chilis and sometimes oregano. Is not that hot when dry and cold, and gives a nice smoked taste to everything. If hot and hidrated, it becomes very spicy, perfect for hot soups, or barbecue sauce. I absolutely love it!

about the pedal..sounds great, but a little splatty to my ears, i couldnt hear the bottom end, maybe its the recording..i would tame the highs some more, and boost up a bit the low end..

or maybe the pedal is overdriving the amp´s input, giving that kind of splatty sound
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

richon

como "splatty"?   ???

si el tener el amp que es chillon, capsula single y la camarita no ayuda a dimensionar el sonido que logra.

with the mid-heavy of the Tweed Deluxe, the Telecaster with singlecoils ice-pearcing...  it's obviously high frecuencies intented

maybe I should test it with a more dark amp and guitar
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

dschwartz

Tubes are overrated!!

richon

do you mean a "source follower" Eq + presence control + volume+ out??

or a LPF after all that or in between?
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

dschwartz

after all that (or it can be in between)..
IMHO a 4.7-10nF to ground just before the volume pot will help..
Tubes are overrated!!

richon

I will try it

what about those tipically used LPF x 2 alla ROG for JFETs tube emulations?
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

dschwartz

Tubes are overrated!!

kurtlives

Too thin, not enough bass, warmth and compression. Sorry.

I love my 5E3 and that tone is getting close to it. I'd tack on  some low pass filters on the end as suggested.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Slade

Hey, Daniel, what Jfet configuration do you prefer for High Gain circuits like this? I don't think several CS cascaded stages would make it sound more gainy and less noisy at the time...
Cheers, dude.

Richon, you should make another video with better audio for everybody here can have a objective opinion, I'm'sure you have made a good pedal but the sound isn't that good, you have the equipment, don't you?! :icon_mrgreen:

richon

Quote from: Slade on April 06, 2010, 12:12:41 PM
you have the equipment, don't you?! :icon_mrgreen:

well , I guess I'll have to buy a 7 strings guitar and an EL34 50W poweramp with a 4x12" Vintage 30 speakers to test it properly ;D
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

niopren

dschwartz

Quote from: Slade on April 06, 2010, 12:12:41 PM
Hey, Daniel, what Jfet configuration do you prefer for High Gain circuits like this? I don't think several CS cascaded stages would make it sound more gainy and less noisy at the time...
Cheers, dude.

Richon, you should make another video with better audio for everybody here can have a objective opinion, I'm'sure you have made a good pedal but the sound isn't that good, you have the equipment, don't you?! :icon_mrgreen:
hi slade Como te va!
For high gain circuits there are several aspects to consider, noise, oscilation sensitivity, consistency, complexity, touch sensitivity and of course, TONE..
I also think that 6 stages of CS is overkill and a call for noise..but maybe the touch sensitivity is improved due to the extra compression..Maybe that´s what richon is after.

I ussually use fets on srpp config for high gain, but now i´m turning more into CMOS inverters and opamps+diodes/leds.. I´m quite convinced now that the type of device used has little to do with tone compared with filtering, voicing and gain calibration. For example, check the new tech 21 "character" series..they seriously kick ass with just opamps, simple zener diode clipper and a very smart filtering design. Other pedals like jeckill and hyde are just based on opamps and diodes and sound incredible..

IMHO the first step to design great pedals is just forget about emulating tubes and just build goddam good sounding boxes. For example, the krank DM (or my version of it) sounds so close to a jcm800 cranked and it doesn´t have any part in there to emulate tubes.. a silicon transistor booster and a JRC386? no fets? no mosfets? no hanky panky vintage mojo?, nopes.. just great design and voicing.....

Tubes are overrated!!

richon

Quote from: dschwartz on April 06, 2010, 03:58:23 PM
For high gain circuits there are several aspects to consider, noise, oscilation sensitivity, consistency, complexity, touch sensitivity and of course, TONE..
I also think that 6 stages of CS is overkill and a call for noise..but maybe the touch sensitivity is improved due to the extra compression..Maybe that´s what richon is after.

exactly, this is my AIM... good touch sensitivity.... 

I know NOW that tube emulation with JFETs is nice to some point, then you got to be crazy to expect better sound (or the same as tubes)

right, 6 stages es way to much, but it started as an idea for a friend who wanted more and more and more...   so he has more now....

It's really hard to desing and modify for a style you're not used to: METAL /HARD-ROCK..

PS: I couldn't agree more with you Daniel. The better pedal I have (and love) is an OPAMP soft clipper , which sound awesome for blues

WHICH HAS 238grs of MOJO!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl