radioshack sho pedal?

Started by musicismath, April 05, 2010, 05:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicismath

I read somewhere you can build a sho clone from parts at radioshack, on the cheap.  is that true?  if so, sign me up.  what parts do I need to buy?  Schematic anywhere?

panterafanatic

Radioshack is pretty much never cheaper.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Hides-His-Eyes

Radioshack isn't cheap but Zvex isn't cheaper...

MikeH

Quote from: musicismath on April 05, 2010, 05:29:01 PM
I read somewhere you can build a sho clone from parts at radioshack, on the cheap.  is that true?  if so, sign me up.  what parts do I need to buy?  Schematic anywhere?

Google "SHO Schematic".  You'll find one for sure.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

dano12

I've never seen BS170s at Radio Shack. Doubt you will find the key part there.

earthtonesaudio

They do have power MOSFETs though...

dano12

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on April 06, 2010, 12:34:41 PM

Yep, they've carried IRF510s forever.  I wonder if you could build a sho with an IRF510....

jacobyjd

Quote from: dano12 on April 06, 2010, 12:41:37 PM

Yep, they've carried IRF510s forever.  I wonder if you could build a sho with an IRF510....

That's pretty much a challenge, dano. If that's not enough, then...

...I bet you can't :-P
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

wavley

Quote from: jacobyjd on April 06, 2010, 12:46:36 PM
Quote from: dano12 on April 06, 2010, 12:41:37 PM

That's pretty much a challenge, dano. If that's not enough, then...

...I bet you can't :-P

Oh no he didn't! ;D 

I double dog dare you :icon_biggrin:
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

WGTP

Gus did it 15 years ago.  IIRC his design addresses the higher level of capacitance present in the power mosfets.   :icon_cool:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/mosfet.gif
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

dano12

Here is Frank Clarke's MOSFET Power Booster. I can't find an operating site/page for Frank's schematics (lost to the ages?), but here is a redraw I did a while ago.

Haven't tried this. Anyone one to have a whack at it? IRF510s can be had any day of the week at Radio Shack... :icon_smile:

davent

This, it seems, will get you much of what Frank had up but i can't find the booster schematic just some links to Geofex. http://guitarpedalseffects.com/index.html

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Paul Marossy

RadioShack sucks. You're better off ordering everything online. It would cost you $7 for low quality jacks (you can get nice Switchcraft jacks for 90 cents each), they don't have any reasonably sized metal enclosures (which are flimsy anyway), no DPDT bypass switches and no BS170s. And their DC jacks are metal, so you can't use a metal enclosure and have a center negative power supply because it will short out the power supply. And they charge you a dollar or more for one capacitor that you could buy online for 15 or 20 cents, that is IF they even have the value that you need. And forget about any resistors except for about 6 or 8 of the most common of common values.

RadioShack is about worthless for stompbox projects. They have turned into another "consumer electronics" store that is more interested in selling you a cell phone than anything else.  :icon_rolleyes:

StereoKills

Is it even still called Radio Shack? The local one here changed their sign to read "The Shack". It's a shame to see a store originally geared towards the hobbyist tinkerer morph into the Mini Me of Best Buy.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

Brymus

Quote from: Paul Marossy on April 07, 2010, 12:28:39 PM
RadioShack sucks. You're better off ordering everything online. It would cost you $7 for low quality jacks (you can get nice Switchcraft jacks for 90 cents each), they don't have any reasonably sized metal enclosures (which are flimsy anyway), no DPDT bypass switches and no BS170s. And their DC jacks are metal, so you can't use a metal enclosure and have a center negative power supply because it will short out the power supply. And they charge you a dollar or more for one capacitor that you could buy online for 15 or 20 cents, that is IF they even have the value that you need. And forget about any resistors except for about 6 or 8 of the most common of common values.

RadioShack is about worthless for stompbox projects. They have turned into another "consumer electronics" store that is more interested in selling you a cell phone than anything else.  :icon_rolleyes:
My sentiments exactly
+1 on just wanting to sell you a cell phone.
FWIW the huge 1/4 watt carbon film resistor bag for 12$ is actually a good thing to have,it has 68 different values in it.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

WGTP

I have to agree, but where else can you go if you need something this afternoon?  I live in a 1M metro area and there really isn't any other place.  RS may have carried BS170's years ago.

I haven't tried Franks, but did try a single stage of Gus' with the IRF510 and it worked fine with 9v (don't recall the resistor value neede to bias though).  :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames