Roger Mayer mod to a fuzz face

Started by clamup1, April 09, 2010, 11:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clamup1

hey, I'm completely new to Diy stomp boxes so you have to use small words lol.

any way i ordered the fuzz face that small bear sells and got that to work. then found the roger Mayer mods for the fuzz face and decided to try that.
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fuzzface/fftech2.gif

http://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/Breadboarding/Fig17.gif

i started with everything on the bread board from the small bear fuzz face
i:
replaced 470 ohm output resit or with 1k
replace the 8.2 k resistor at the collector of the second transistor with 18k
replace the 1k control in the emitter of the second transistor with 2k

i breadboarded this by the way

when i hooked up the batter and everything else i had to turn everything all the way up including my guitar vol.  the fuzz would come through but only sustain for a couple of seconds. i replaced c1 and c2 with 25vol 10uf. and then replaced c3 with l83 104(i don't  know what it is that's what it says on it)
it sounded better but i had to have everything turned up. i don't think this is the way its supposed to run but i might be wrong. on the roger Mayer schematic there are no values for c1 and c2. what would those be or what would you use?

if you need pics i didn't tear the board apart.

HELP PLEASE

joegagan

you threw off the bias of the second transistor.

instead of an 18 k resistor, install a 20k trimpot so that you can set the voltage at q2's collector to approx. -4.5 v.

get a digital voltmeter to do this. put one lead of the voltmeter to ground, the other to q2collector. turn the 20 k trimpot until it reads -4.5v.

the stock capacitors that you used should sound fine, but you might want to try 47uf at q2 emitter to ground in place of the stock 22uf. recheck bias after this mod also.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

philbinator1

I made a fuzz face that i made on vero, got it from here..i installed 2 trimpots where R2 and R3 used to be.  very handy..that is,
if you've got the same circuit   :)  oh and it made a difference which amp i tried the fuzz through, too.  i had to 're-bias' the trimpots
after i ran through the tube amp i have cos it ran hotter, methinks.
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf

clamup1

thanks for your help guys. i got it to work, but it i didnt like it. the fuzz from small bear was more to my liking.
the roger mayer mod fuzzes on the low end strings and leaves the high end alone. (screaming guitar solos) i still had to max out the volume on my amp and the guitar

i changed c2 to the 47 uf and added a 1k trim pot. i didnt try the second trim pot.

again thanks for your help.