TS9 to TS808 toggle converter

Started by neurino, April 11, 2010, 01:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neurino

I see turning a TS9 into a TS808 is matter of changing 2 resistors (also changing the opamp but my TS9DX already mounts a JRC4558D).

I'm surprised I can't find anyone who made the convertion switchable with a DPDT toggle.

Maybe because the change is subtle and is not worth the switching option.

But if it's so subtle I wonder why so many people modding their TS9...

Any advice?

skrunk

QuoteI'm surprised I can't find anyone who made the convertion switchable with a DPDT toggle.

Maybe because the change is subtle and is not worth the switching option.

Exactly, I put this mod on a recent tubescreamer clone and I couldn't tell the difference, though I bet some people will still tell you they can.

QuoteBut if it's so subtle I wonder why so many people modding their TS9...

myth and hearsay...

there's far more useful mods you could put in it IMHO.

earthtonesaudio

In my opinion a more worthwhile "toggle switch-able" mod would be two different LED brightness settings, for dark stage or sunny outdoor venues.

Speeddemon

and a switchable input cap (which I did to my TS9 RI). Tight vs. Full.
There *is* an audible difference with my '82 original TS9, but a lot more variables come into play than just the 2 resistors and the op-amp:
-aging of components
-quality of components (tolerances etc.)
-specific types of components (which diodes, etc.)
Meanwhile @ TGP:
"I was especially put off by the religious banterings written inside the LDO pedal. I guess he felt it was necessary to thank God that someone payed $389 for his tubescreamer!"

neurino

Quote from: skrunk on April 11, 2010, 02:45:38 PM
myth and hearsay...
there's far more useful mods you could put in it IMHO.

And what about this toggle:

(you know it's keeley one...)

I know a lot of changes are involved in that mod, the rotary, true bypass etc...
but what does the toggle (a DPDT?) swap? (not the 2 res mentioned above I guess :icon_mrgreen: )

FunkyGibbon

I tried the 808/TS9 switch and heard no difference.

Better mods to toggle with switches are the asymmetry mod (really fantastic: switch between the smooth, distinctive Tubescreamer sound, and the crunchy, more amp-like asymmetric sound), the fat mod, and a more-gain switch.

Christopher

oldrocker

Me too.  Tried the 2 resistor toggle switch on mine.  I ended up pulling the stompswitch and using it in another project.  So subtle it's a waste of time.  Other mods would be better.

neurino

Quote from: FunkyGibbon on April 12, 2010, 06:57:06 AM
Better mods to toggle with switches are the asymmetry mod (really fantastic: switch between the smooth, distinctive Tubescreamer sound, and the crunchy, more amp-like asymmetric sound), the fat mod, and a more-gain switch.

I intended to do the asymmetric mod (I suppose in TS9 mode, I guess ) but not switchable 'cause I thought the result is just "more realistic" than symmetric while you say both sounds have their "taste"?

The DX already has different diode-caps configuration in its 4 modes, I wanted something that could interact with all 4 knob positions...

Anyway I bought it to over-mod it but after some playing and reading I already discarded True Bypass and TS808 (absolutely redundant).
Will I simply keep it stock?  ???

Speeddemon

Well, the switchable input cap and the more-less drive-range resistor change (I forgot which resistor and what value though  :icon_redface: ) are definite improvements, so I recommend to start with those.
Meanwhile @ TGP:
"I was especially put off by the religious banterings written inside the LDO pedal. I guess he felt it was necessary to thank God that someone payed $389 for his tubescreamer!"

MikeH

I've done it- it's totally useless!  Don't waste the switch.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH