Cant get my graphics look good.

Started by served, April 16, 2010, 10:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

served

Hi.

So I am struggling hard with my enclosures.
Now that I have figured out how to correctly paint and cover with lacquer, I just cant get decals right. Its such a disaster.
I have tried 2 ways. A sticker and Iron on.
They both don't come out good.
Decals are bubbling, there are allot of small bubbles between the paint and the decal. I have re stick ed several times and tried everything I could, but still, they look messy.
Any suggestions?

And I cant get the marking ironed on... They just don't come up perfect, always broken.
I am pretty frustrated.
I hope some one could give me some tips how should I continue.

Enclosures that I work with at the moment are powdercoated. First I tried to stick the decal on top of the paint, but then it was so messy that I decided to cover it with lacquer and then put a sticker on, then it was better, but not good.

jkokura

There are lots of tutorials out there. Have you tried looking at any of those? Check out the wiki link above. ^

Jacob

Plan B

Heh, I had the same problem.  Good news:  I don't have that problem anymore.  Bad news:  it's because I found my own method of decorating the enclosure that looks pretty unique and that I am quite proud of--both in terms of overcoming a problem with a solution borne of my own limitations, and also that I fond it quite aesthetically pleasing as well.

Think of ways you could get a similar result using a different method.  It will not look "perfect", but you might like the result just as much if not more than banging your head on the wall trying for that "perfect" finish.

served

I think I will have to sand it or something. The paint is not smooth enough I think. I will try to clearcoat it, so it would fill the paint caps. And I ll try to add more pressure while ironing.
I have done this thing before with clear box, without any paint. But now I want to have some colouring variations and need coloured boxes.
I will let you know how I did.

I reed the Wiki. Not much help, but it was a start.

Thanks for the head up. I needed it!

therecordingart

Waterslide decals and a rubber squeegee.

served

So now I tried this paper
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Iron-On-Transfer-Decal-Inkjet.html

But black is not black. There is something coverig the marking.
There is not much sayd how to use it.
I mirror printed my text on it and ironed it straight on the enclosure. Then waited to cool down and removed the paper. But the result was not black text, its gray, I have a feeling that there is something covering the ink.
Any thoughts?

nosamiam

Quote from: served on April 16, 2010, 12:08:52 PM
I think I will have to sand it or something. The paint is not smooth enough I think. I will try to clearcoat it, so it would fill the paint caps. And I ll try to add more pressure while ironing.
I have done this thing before with clear box, without any paint. But now I want to have some colouring variations and need coloured boxes.
I will let you know how I did.

I reed the Wiki. Not much help, but it was a start.

Thanks for the head up. I needed it!

The sanding remark got my attention. If your paint isn't smooth something is wrong. As long as your surface is smooth before you paint and you don't get any contaminants in your paint while it is drying, you should end up with perfectly smooth. Oh, and you also have to be sure that your paint application process is right, ie. nice thin coats with no drips our buildup in the corner. I'd start there: surface preparation and painting technique.

served

Well I bought the enclosures powdercoated. Didn't paint them my self. Its deffenetly paints fault. Next time I will only buy paintless enclosures. But at the moment I don't want to remove the paint.