Shielded Wire?

Started by stoneattic, April 19, 2010, 07:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneattic

I converted a couple of my Boss pedal to true-bypass and picked up some noise when bypassed, particularly on my modded MT-2.
I figured shielded wire on the input and output to and from the switch and to and from the switch to the PCB would help, if not solve, the problem.

I did some searches of various forums and a bunch of people recommended using the stereo RCA connector cables for shielded cable in pedal so I picked up one and cut and stripped it.  I am surprised at how small the inner conductor is. 

Has anyway used these as shielded cables?

Should I just go ahead and use it or should I be concerned about the wire gauge?

TIA!

petemoore

Click "Home" and read:
  For pedals, it will usually sound better if you use thicker wire. It's really hard to use the thickest wire possible, but the sound is amazing. Now you wish you never threw away that Weller Soldering GUN!
  My weller fell and was done, but I haven't done any wire-swapping to thicken at all.
  If it wasn't Aron offering this I'd consider it bunk.
  Then start in on signal path is very small voltages and any 'connection' is exactly that, doesn't require wire which will 'stay cool' or carry heavy currents.
  Not much happens in the core of the wire, the electrons tend strongly to move around on surfaces of conductive materials, stranded wire of course has greater surface area per volume than 1 thick strand.
  Tubular wire of course really increases the ratio of surface area to volume.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

head_spaz

There really isn't much current in the signal path... you should be fine with light gauge.
Of course if you're using really low quality RCA cable... you could have trouble soldering it.
Most of the stuff I've cut up has been very good quality.

Here's a link to a sort of pictorial tutorial for prepping shielded wire. Of course this method is more suitable for amplifier building than for pedals... but it will give you an idea of how to work with the stuff. The important thing is to not melt the insulator and short the conductors when you solder it... and it's best to only ground one end of the shield conductor... to prevent a ground loop.
Good luck.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

stoneattic

Here's a couple of pics of the RCA wire stripped next to the original Boss MT-2 wire.  The Boss wire is obviously tinned, so maybe they are the same gauge.  Any thoughts?