Building the Echo Base PCB

Started by Taylor, April 22, 2010, 11:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samiam691

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. 
yes, my pin 1 of 2399 is 5.01 volts.
Is it a bad 2399?

domct203

Ordered a board this morning and everything went smooth.

Dom

Thump-Lump

Is there any one place that carries all the components to populate the PCB?  I have searched Small Bear, Mammoth and Pedal Parts Plus and haven't been able to find all the IC's and transistors at any single one of them.  Any other suggestions?

Taylor

Small Bear definitely has all the ICs. If you check the first five pages of the big Echo Base thread, there are some suggestions for substituting transistors if you can't get the ones in the bill of materials. The transistors are really not too critical.

Thump-Lump

Sounds good.  I just went back though the BoM for the IC's and the transistors and found all but the BC560 trans.  I'll go look on the other thread and see what it says for a sub.  THANKS!

samiam691

I do have 5 volts at pin 1 of my pt2399 and I also switched it out with another pt2399 I got from small bear and all the rest as I stated below.  Can anyone tell me what I should to next to get this echo base to work?

Quote from: samiam691 on August 27, 2011, 03:44:09 PM
I built a Gristleizer a few months ago and that is sweet (bizarre but sweet) so I thought I would try the echo base.  I love the musicpcb boards, top notch. So thank you for offering such nice products to people who spend way too much time alone with hot metal rod... 

I am so close on the echo base but I need a little help please.  I am near the some spot as the post I quoted above.  Here is where I am:
I get sound but no delay, just guitar only.  My LED works with the bypass and is changes with the LFO pot and switch.  I can hear a ticking sound if I turn up the time pot. From the post above, my bypass transistor is working properly.  My middle pin of the tails switch matches the collector.

on my CD4066, pin 12 shows 4.26 an pin 13 shows 2.7 no matter which position my tails switch is in. 

When I use the audio probe, I get only clean guitar on pin 16 of the pt2399.  I am stuck. Any help anyone can give would be great.   Thanks!

Taylor

It actually sounds like the 2399 is working if you get noise at max time. So the problem is likely that the audio is not getting into the 2399.

Go through sequentially and see if you have guitar signal at these points

4066 pin 1
4066 pin 2
2399 pin 16
2399 pin 14

samiam691

ok,

4066 pin 1 is clean guitar
4066 pin 2 is clean guitar
2399 pin 14 in no sound
2399 pin 16 is the ticking lfo sound

thank you for your help

samiam691

What should I do next?

Quote from: samiam691 on September 03, 2011, 08:09:28 PM
ok,

4066 pin 1 is clean guitar
4066 pin 2 is clean guitar
2399 pin 14 in no sound
2399 pin 16 is the ticking lfo sound

thank you for your help

Taylor

Before you said you had clean guitar at pin 16, now not?

My guess is that you simply have a bad solder joint somewhere in between pin 2 of the 4066, and the delay chip. Early on most of my debug problems could be fixed by reflowing all of my solder joints and checking for bridged traces/joints.

Thump-Lump

Being only my second build, would someone with more experience please give this a lookover for whatever mistakes you can find?  THANKS!!! ;D ;D

Taylor

Looks pretty good to me, but cold joints aren't easy to see, especially in a photo.

Most problems in builds tend to be  in wiring rather than on the board. If you use onboard pots you'll greatly decrease your chances of needing debugging.

Thump-Lump

Thanks.  I inspected each solder joint as I went along and remelted a few that looked questionable.  I do plan on using onboard pots just like the layout in your second pic in your very first post in this thread.  Of course, if I had soldered them in, a good portion of the back of the PCB would be covered and a pic would have been just about useless.

Barcode80

Looks like maybe you forgot your IC's....   ;D

Thump-Lump

Quote from: Barcode80 on September 17, 2011, 10:29:21 PM
Looks like maybe you forgot your IC's....   ;D

Do I really need them?   ;D

snarblinge

my OCD tells me some of your resistors are round the wrong, way and one of them is the wrong colour, but then my ones have different coloured caps (annoys me so much)
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Thump-Lump

OK.....I got mine done.  Sounds great. :icon_biggrin:  Thought I would show it off.  A big plus...I have the IC's in this time. ;)

slacker

Thump-Lump

Thanks Slacker.  Coming from the guy that designed the EchoBase, that means a good bit to me.  Being that I'm still a noob and this is only my second build.

bassesofdeath

Quote from: Thump-Lump on September 24, 2011, 04:01:18 AM
OK.....I got mine done.  Sounds great. :icon_biggrin:  Thought I would show it off.  A big plus...I have the IC's in this time. ;)

Quality not quantity.