George L's inside 19 inch gear

Started by stefcuypers, April 28, 2010, 03:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefcuypers

Hello,

I'm building sort of an 19 inch rack module pedal "wall".
This is my first post about this project and probably not the last ;)

I want to use shielded cable inside these 19 inch racks and was wondering if someone ever tried George L's 0,115?
For those short distances it isn't that expensive to use... and still not thick.
Probably better use george L's than Proco quality's guitar cable. My first thought.

Thanks for replying,

Stef

MikeH

George L is good cable (although it is REALLY stiff), the thing I dont like is the solderless connectors, but if you're not using those it's good stuff to use.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Processaurus

I don't think you need good cable, mediocre shielded cable will do just fine for internal wiring.  They make fine stuff that is easier to route than guitar cable, I believe small bear has some.  Super stiff internal wiring is a bummer, it's more likely to break during handling because the only part that bends is the stripped wire at the fragile connection at the board.

stefcuypers

Thanks for the reply's.
Guess i better buy 1m of George L's and try if it is possible.
If i can route them and there stiff but not to stiff i try to use them.
Probably overkill, but that's who i am.

If it is to stiff.
Is this one a good choice?
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Shielded-Wire-2C-SH-MT.html

Thanks,

Stef

Processaurus

Quote from: John SteinbeckNo one wants advice - only corroboration.

stefcuypers

Quote from: Processaurus on April 29, 2010, 06:12:54 AM
Quote from: John SteinbeckNo one wants advice - only corroboration.

You got a point, real good point. :-X
I emailed banzai to ask for non stiff shielded wire, the answer:
Unfortunately, we do not currently offer such a product. It is however, in our future plans to do so. My apologies for the inconvenience.

So it's gone be probably ebay:
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/RG-174-COAX-CABLE-25-FEET-WHITE-COVERING-/220457358296?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33544853d8#ht_500wt_1182

Thanks for the advice

StereoKills

Using coaxial cable for internal wiring is:
A) Overkill
B) A PITA
C) Expensive
D) All of the above

Hint, the answer is D.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

Processaurus

Quote from: stefcuypers on April 29, 2010, 06:37:47 AM
I strangely enough just found this wire on their site:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Coaxial-cable-per-meter.html?quantity=1

That looks like a better bet!  Honestly the dinkier the better, as the rules are different.  Cable capacitance isn't an issue with short runs, nor is it getting stepped on or yanked.

Quote from: StereoKills on April 29, 2010, 08:28:03 AM
Using coaxial cable for internal wiring is:
A) Overkill
B) A PITA
C) Expensive
D) All of the above

Hint, the answer is D.

There are noise and bleed problems that can only be solved with shielded cable, for sure it is a pain, but high impedance, low level signals like guitar are ripe to pick up noise easily.  Those issues are for real in high gain or noisy circuits (especially logic sections like clocks and LFO's).  You'd have diminishing returns doing everything with coaxial cable, though, a rule of thumb I've heard is for cable runs over 5 inches (12cm to the sane world), especially high impedance inputs, like for the input of each effect, and extra especially the guitar to the first circuit.  The outputs are lower impedance and are less susceptible to capacitive noise/crosstalk, you see lots of professionally designed audio equipment will have the inputs shielded and the outputs not, if the jacks are far away from the circuit.

It's a pain, but it is a good idea to shrink tube the little bit of exposed shield on the unconnected end, so the wire can't short stuff out.

stefcuypers

Thanks a lot for the reply! Will try the banzai coaxial cable.
5mm isn't dinky, but more flexible than george L's.( Had to look up the therm dinkier ;))

I'm working on the wiring schematic right now. You're wiring advice is very welcome.
Will shield the input for shure, probably the output to, just to be really sure.
If the wiring diagram is ready i'm gone post it. It will be probably be overkill, but some opinions would be nice.

Thanks,
S

StereoKills

There are noise and bleed problems that can only be solved with shielded cable, for sure it is a pain, but high impedance, low level signals like guitar are ripe to pick up noise easily.  Those issues are for real in high gain or noisy circuits (especially logic sections like clocks and LFO's).  You'd have diminishing returns doing everything with coaxial cable, though, a rule of thumb I've heard is for cable runs over 5 inches (12cm to the sane world), especially high impedance inputs, like for the input of each effect, and extra especially the guitar to the first circuit.  The outputs are lower impedance and are less susceptible to capacitive noise/crosstalk, you see lots of professionally designed audio equipment will have the inputs shielded and the outputs not, if the jacks are far away from the circuit.

It's a pain, but it is a good idea to shrink tube the little bit of exposed shield on the unconnected end, so the wire can't short stuff out.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of shielding your signal (especially in high gain situations), but I don't see any reason to use coax when thinner, more flexible shielded cable is available for cheaper....
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

Brymus

RG178 Awesome stuff,PITA to strip but worth it
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Processaurus

Quote from: StereoKills on April 30, 2010, 08:27:48 AM

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of shielding your signal (especially in high gain situations), but I don't see any reason to use coax when thinner, more flexible shielded cable is available for cheaper....

Ah, a terminology thing there, shielded cable is coaxial cable, regardless of gauge.  Not sure if there is a universal term for heavy coax, besides instrument cable?

Quote from: stefcuypers on April 30, 2010, 06:14:59 AM
Thanks a lot for the reply! Will try the banzai coaxial cable.
5mm isn't dinky, but more flexible than george L's.( Had to look up the therm dinkier ;))

The fine stuff I can get from my work is 1.75mm (braided shield and teflon, it's great, not sure where to order it from, though), and the normal size is 2.5mm, just as a reference for what is nice to work with for internal wiring.

Brymus

RG178 is mil spec RG174 ,Teflon insulators braided 98% sheilding and silver tinned conductor.
I love it aside from stripping ,Teflon coated wire will spoil you quick.Especially the small stuff.
I think thats similiar to what your using Procesaurus.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Processaurus

Quote from: Brymus on May 01, 2010, 12:33:50 AM
RG178 is mil spec RG174 ,Teflon insulators braided 98% sheilding and silver tinned conductor.
I love it aside from stripping ,Teflon coated wire will spoil you quick.Especially the small stuff.
I think thats similiar to what your using Procesaurus.

Yeah!  Thank you so much for the part # for the mystery cable.  The teflon is great, as there is no worry about melting through and shorting to the shield.

EDIT: Yikes! $2 a foot, maybe I shouldn't have been using it for my pedal projects...