Thats what i get for being a cheapskate.

Started by MmmPedals, April 29, 2010, 08:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmPedals

I bought a 50 value pack of 2000 metal film resistors. the leads are super thin. So my Question is how thin is too thin?

Electron Tornado

How many capacitors are in a "50" value pack?  :icon_mrgreen:

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

jacobyjd

I have a similar multi-pack--1% metal films, and the leads are thinner than what I get through futurlec or smallbear. You should be fine. I'd measure a few of 'em before using, just in case they're some of those fakeys.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

MmmPedals

50 value means 50 different values.
The leads are much thinner than smallbear. I measured them they are real.

Paul Marossy

For a guitar pedal operating at 9V, they will be just fine. I don't think there is such a thing as leads that are too thin in that scenario.

Brymus

So you got 40 of each value ?
Or did you get more of some values than others ?
And where did you get this 50 value pack from ?
I checked the Mouser packs and you arent saving any money buying the "kits" VS buying bags of 100/200 in the values you need.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

mattthegamer463

Only problem with those is you can't get them into the holes of a prototyping board: they just bend at the force required to push open the metal leaves in the hole.  Radioshack sold me some of that crap.

R.G.

Quote from: MmmPedals on April 29, 2010, 08:21:32 PM
I bought a 50 value pack of 2000 metal film resistors. the leads are super thin. So my Question is how thin is too thin?
R = (rho)*L/A, where (rho) is the metal resistivity, L is the length, and A is the cross sectional area.
P = I(squared) time R from above.
Temp is proportional to the fourth power of the power dissipated per unit of area.

Too thin is when the temperature rise on the leads melts the solder holding them in the board. That's about 300C. So all's you gots to do is figure resistance, then power, then temperature for your leads, and out pops whether they're too thin or not.

That's just for the leads.

Of course, you don't want your resistors getting too hot either. So for the real answer, you have to figure out whether your resistors are overheating, and whether that heat, conducted through the leads, and with the self-heating of the leads, melts the solder.

Then there's mechanical. From the mass of the resistor and the lead diameter, you can compute the stress on the leads for various shock loadings, like, say, 200Gs when the pedal is dropped, and compute how many of those it can take without breaking the (thin) leads.

And that's really, actually, no fooling, how you'd figure out what was too thin.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Dan N

If they're thinner than an electron, I'd send them back. :icon_evil:

MmmPedals

I got them from ebay. Dirt cheap. Just search 50 value resistor.

Paul Marossy

The old addage comes to mind: "You get what you pay for".  :icon_wink:

MikeH

I once bought a grab bag of film caps on ebay.  The listing said "At least 8 different values from 0.001uf to 0.1uf".  Sounds like  a good range right?  And at under a nickel per cap I figured I would make out pretty well.  Until I got the grab bag, and like it said "8 different values"- there were about 10 each of 6 values and about 10 billion each of 0.027uf and 0.039uf.  Needless to say I still have a lot of those values in my parts stash.  I definitely havent gotten my moneys worth out of that one!

As for the small leads goes... I say buy a smaller drill bit.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

frequencycentral

Quote from: Dan N on April 30, 2010, 12:32:09 AM
If they're thinner than an electron, I'd send them back. :icon_evil:

I'm with Dan on this. Fat electrons may get stuck.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

zombiwoof

Quote from: MikeH on April 30, 2010, 11:20:36 AM
I once bought a grab bag of film caps on ebay.  The listing said "At least 8 different values from 0.001uf to 0.1uf".  Sounds like  a good range right?  And at under a nickel per cap I figured I would make out pretty well.  Until I got the grab bag, and like it said "8 different values"- there were about 10 each of 6 values and about 10 billion each of 0.027uf and 0.039uf.  Needless to say I still have a lot of those values in my parts stash.  I definitely havent gotten my moneys worth out of that one!

As for the small leads goes... I say buy a smaller drill bit.

I've been looking into those multipacks of resistors on Ebay and all of them list what values you are getting and how many of each.  And most of them come in separate labeled bags for each value.  I didn't know about the thin lead thing, though.

To the OP, did you get them from one of those Hong Kong sellers?  There are other American-based sellers that have similar packs, I wonder if I should go with them instead?.

Al