TL072 vs. NE5532 noise in a bluesbreaker

Started by spargo, July 24, 2010, 04:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spargo

I've heard mixed messages on this one, and have heard that it depends on the input impedance?  Would a TL072 or NE5532 be quieter in a Bluesbreaker clone?  If it varies, what factors does it depend on?

StephenGiles

I would be more concerned about my playing ::) ::) ::) ::)
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Johan

Quote from: spargo on July 24, 2010, 04:03:17 AM
I've heard mixed messages on this one, and have heard that it depends on the input impedance?  Would a TL072 or NE5532 be quieter in a Bluesbreaker clone?  If it varies, what factors does it depend on?

current noise, voltage noise and the requirements of the op amp...a 5532 wont be happy in a bluesbreaker.
there are a lot of factors to consither if you want the full answer, but to simplify, if you want high impedance, go with TL072. if the impedance is low, in the neighborhood of 10K, go with the 5532. for commercial  stompboxes this mean almost certainly that the first op amp( unless there is a buffere before it) will be a TL072 or one of its relatives. inside a circuit where impedance's are lower you might find a 5532, but with the low voltages we work with in stompboxes, many times a simple 4558 will work just as well..
J
DON'T PANIC